Should I consider a v6?

I am wanting another Comanche, I really want a 4.0 but have located a couple with the 2.8 instead. Should I even check them out or is it a total waste? Thanks!

Not speaking from experience here, but sometimes the 2.8 lives forever, and sometimes explodes randomly. If you aren't afraid of swapping in a 3.4 if it does explode, than I would pick one up. IMO you're starting way ahead if you find a 4.0, but I would take the 2.5 any day over the 2.8.

I am wanting another Comanche, I really want a 4.0 but have located a couple with the 2.8 instead. Should I even check them out or is it a total waste? Thanks!

Not speaking from experience here, but sometimes the 2.8 lives forever, and sometimes explodes randomly. If you aren't afraid of swapping in a 3.4 if it does explode, than I would pick one up. IMO you're starting way ahead if you find a 4.0, but I would take the 2.5 any day over the 2.8.

totally agree..ive had a XJ with a v6 and it ran good for a yard vehicle and wide open assualts on the driveway for a whole summer with no exhaust..

If you have a chance to get a Comanche, get it. Irregardless of what's in it. If it runs good you lucked out. If it doesn't, then swap something else into it. I have a '86 MJ with the 2.8 in it and I will match it against any 2.5 anybody in the forum has. except my '88MJ with a 2.5. Yes, there are other engines more powerful than the 2.8 but that is no reason to reject it. Notice I said more powerful. Not better.

comanche.gif

ill just say that if you go with it, there were A LOT of GM cars and trucks that used that motor in the 80s. just to name a few, it was offered in 1st gen s10 blazers/s15 jimmys, camaros, firebirds, chevy celebrity, buick century, chevy cavalier, etc. etc.

Guy I worked with had a 2wd S10 with that engine for a while. His seemed dependable, but he was always complaining about gas mileage. Mixed driving he got around 16mpg, even after a complete tune up. My 4.0 Comanche got better than that when it was stock.

For whatever reason, GM is STILL using versions of that 2.8 V6 today. It has been refined a lot and bumped up in size, but still has the same basic architecture that the original 2.8 had. I say, if you find one really nice, get it and drive it with it in the back of your mind that you might need to update to the bolt in 3.1 or 3.4 later on to make it better again. Good luck.