XJ and MJ axle/diff question.

Hey guys, I've done some searching but came up with nothing solid so I'm reaching out.

I have a 92 MJ, with a locker in the rear. It's a Dana 35.

I also have a 98 XJ, that is also a Dana 35.

I know there is a Dana 35C, but honestly, I'm unsure of the difference.

Anyways, I want to put the locker in the XJ. I figure the easiest way to is to swap the axles.

The yokes appear to be the same, so that really doesn't concern me.

However, I went to check the gear ratio tags to try to match them up. But the one on the XJ is missing.

Also, the diameter of the XJ's axle appears to be bigger than the one of the MJ.

So, does anyone know if the gear ratio's are the same, and if this is even possible?

Any info would help me out a great deal, thanks in advance!

You are aware that that XJs are soa and MJs are sua so they won't just swap also the perches are in different places.

What kind of locker are you trying to swap? Are you sure they are both D35s,there were several axle options.

And with the XJ being a 98, it would have the 29 spline 8.25 as opposed to the 27 variant for early 96 and older. Axle shafts almost as strong as a D44.

The C in Dana 35C just stands for custom. That just means the axles were shipped from Dana to the car manufacturer (in this case, AMC or Chrysler, depending on year) in unfinished condition.

But early Dana 35s did not use C clips, using a retainer behind the brakes to keep the axle in place, whereas newer ones use C slips inside the carrier to do it.

And with the XJ being a 98, it would have the 29 spline 8.25 as opposed to the 27 variant for early 96 and older. Axle shafts almost as strong as a D44.

And the 8.25 has a stronger case than the D44.