2.5 performance parts

Ok I'm new here and have ownd a 94xj before with 4.0 ho. But now have an 86 mj with 2.5 and was wondering if anybody has links or any thing where I can find performance parts such as header, cam ect.

Thanks.

O and a back window I got my mj for 300$ its ruff but I like it always wanted one but the guy I got it from let it go to crap so I need rear window drivers side vent window and drivers side miror. For mirors I think I may use the mirios off my 87 isuzu since the frame is brokin on it.

The internet is probably your best source but searching is involved. There are performance parts for the 2.5 I know mopar makes three different cams, yella terra makes roller rockers and also mopar, borla and pace setter makes headers and ceramic pistons are very easy to get from multiple companies. For some reason they don't list the comanche just jeep 2.5 or wrangler 2.5 thats why it can me a little difficult to find parts.

Thank you I will have to start looking into some roller rockers and a cam gona pass on the header for now and see if the turbo off a car I had with the 2.5 will work I have the whole setup minus the lines and the head considering the head is sohc and not an ic head.

Thank you I will have to start looking into some roller rockers and a cam gona pass on the header for now and see if the turbo off a car I had with the 2.5 will work I have the whole setup minus the lines and the head considering the head is sohc and not an ic head.

What car did you have that used the Jeep 2.5L engine? And what is an "ic" head?

MOPAR no longer makes cams for the 2.5, and NO ONE ELSE Ive found makes them anymore either. Clifford performance used to have listings for 2.5 performance parts, but have recently done away with them all. Some say there are places that will regrind a new profile on a stock cam for a performance application, but I have yet to research any of them yet. The best bet for the feeling of more power in a 2.5 is gearing in the axles. Other things you can do are to do away with the engine driven fan and add an electric unit with a fan controller. Ive had good luck with opening up the exhaust, with a gutted and sleeved cat converter, and a Flowmaster 50 series muffler. Ive also done a "COLD" air intake tube, but I really only put that on there to make room for other modifications, and just because I had it laying around. Tune up parts will be the next best bet for better power, including a new 02 sensor. I don't think a turbo system on this truck would be worth the time and energy it will take to make it work. Youll just end up with a partially finished project that youll be unable to finish or make run right. We wish you luck though and let us know what you end up doing.

What car did you have that used the Jeep 2.5L engine? And what is an "ic" head?

I didn't have a car that used the amc 2.5 it was a 89 lebaron 2.5 turbo. Ic is an abrevieation I use to describe internal cam or standard cam instead of overhead cam sorry for confusion.

That would be nice to see an old mj 2.5 a turbo, but how will you tune it? I havent seen a fuel controller for our old pickups

Gona have to tune it old school before the electronic controlers. Done by getting air fule gauge and bosst controler got to watch make sure it dosnt go lean if it does turn down the bost I'm looking at probly 3-5lbs of bost so I'm leaning away from turbo.

MOPAR no longer makes cams for the 2.5, and NO ONE ELSE Ive found makes them anymore either. Clifford performance used to have listings for 2.5 performance parts, but have recently done away with them all. Some say there are places that will regrind a new profile on a stock cam for a performance application, but I have yet to research any of them yet. The best bet for the feeling of more power in a 2.5 is gearing in the axles. Other things you can do are to do away with the engine driven fan and add an electric unit with a fan controller. Ive had good luck with opening up the exhaust, with a gutted and sleeved cat converter, and a Flowmaster 50 series muffler. Ive also done a "COLD" air intake tube, but I really only put that on there to make room for other modifications, and just because I had it laying around. Tune up parts will be the next best bet for better power, including a new 02 sensor. I don't think a turbo system on this truck would be worth the time and energy it will take to make it work. Youll just end up with a partially finished project that youll be unable to finish or make run right. We wish you luck though and let us know what you end up doing.

Good to know about cams I did some looking and founs stock cams and a place that sells pistons in 30 over size. I got to figuring the same on turbo way unpredictable off road that and the boost I wuld have to run wuldnt realy show any grand gains and there realy is no replacement for displacment.

I have an 87 2.5

Delta Camshaft Company that was in Tacoma Washington did make and as of 6 months ago still made a "performance" regrind. http://www.deltacam.com/

I have one in my 2.5. And, double the comment about opening up the exhaust. I have a free flowing CAT and a single in dual out Flowmaster.

Did have a Clifford header that REALLY helped but it never fit right and I had to modify it. It's now gone.

I have an 87 2.5

Delta Camshaft Company that was in Tacoma Washington did make and as of 6 months ago still made a "performance" regrind. http://www.deltacam.com/

I have one in my 2.5. And, double the comment about opening up the exhaust. I have a free flowing CAT and a single in dual out Flowmaster.

Did have a Clifford header that REALLY helped but it never fit right and I had to modify it. It's now gone.

Cool will have to check out that site forsur. I forgot to mention the old jeep is brealthing well now I got cone filter and flowmaster 80 series on it with center knocked out of my cat.

I'm new to the comanche club actually comanche in general i got a 89 2.5 manual 5 comanche from my father in law for a work truck witch when i got it it still had factory rims and tires it has been ran in to the ground iv put $800 in just trying to get the front end fixed (ball jouints, sway bar, sway bar links witch were broken when i got it, front end barrings) i was going to sell it were I'm getting to is do you guys think its worth trying to restore the truck i love it its slow as hell but but its fun to drive just need to know were to start

I'm new to the comanche club actually comanche in general i got a 89 2.5 manual 5 comanche from my father in law for a work truck witch when i got it it still had factory rims and tires it has been ran in to the ground iv put $800 in just trying to get the front end fixed (ball jouints, sway bar, sway bar links witch were broken when i got it, front end barrings) i was going to sell it were I'm getting to is do you guys think its worth trying to restore the truck i love it its slow as hell but but its fun to drive just need to know were to start

As long as you don't expect too much from it, youll be happy. Just remember, it s 20 plus year old 4 cylinder truck with a bunch of miles and use/abuse on it. Take your problems one at a time, and fix them little by little and upgrade when possible and you can't go wrong.

As long as you don't expect too much from it, youll be happy. Just remember, it s 20 plus year old 4 cylinder truck with a bunch of miles and use/abuse on it. Take your problems one at a time, and fix them little by little and upgrade when possible and you can't go wrong.

i don't really expect much only because i don't know what i can expect to do with it i can get a 4.0 for it all i need to do is call some ppl but i don't know if the 2.5 tran will fit or do i need to think about getting a new trans

I do not beleave the 2.5 trans will work as I think that year still has the gm bolt pattern on the bell housing. And as for keeping the comanche I say go for it you have 800$ in it now you said you like it know it or not you have alrready made up your mind lol. Its some thing bout these trucks they almost chose you instead of you chosing them.

Its some thing bout these trucks they almost chose you instead of you chosing them.

:agree:

i never in my life thought i would ever even SIT in a comanche let alone own one but ill never forget the night i was at work and my girlfriend texted me saying her dad was gonna scrap his and told her she could beat it up in the woods. it was like fate...that jeep needed someone to save its life and i came to the rescue. just seeing a picture for the first time i fell in love with it. before then, never even cared for them

I never used to be into jeeps but when I seen my first 95 2door I fell in love snaged a 94 2 door it was wonderful then some bad things started to happen had to let it go got a chevy broke it got a ford junked it after many miles and good times getting stuck lol was actualy looking for a small honda or some thing thaught what the heck looked for jeep on craigs list there she sat my 86 jeep comanche had to have it called the guy up next day went and looked at it that weekend drove it home havnt been happyer.

Was returning from being at the Seminary for 4 years and going to my first church and were at wifes mom and dad's place in Redmond Oregon when we saw the new 1984 XJ. We liked them. Didn't like the little engine offerings, though. Then, in 1994, bought a new XJ 4door 4x2 4.0 auto. AWESOME RIDE! Kept it until February of last year, 247,000 miles and really no trouble. Even only aligned the front end once. SOLD ON JEEPS!!! Found my used 247,000 mile 87 MJ 4x2 in Edgewood in Washington State in 2002. Had it ever since. Overhauled the 2.5 twice (2nd time the fault of ill fitting header), original rear end and tranny, and I think all front suspension. Changed steering gear (manual). BTW, traded the XJ in on a Patriot. Love it also!

Uh, yea, sold on JEEPS!!!!

Working toward a 327 in my MJ, maybe. Streetjeep, you know!