best motor oil

For my oil In my 00 4.0 I run the castrol full syn in a 10w-30. (10w meaning the viscosity of the oil was tested at 0deg F. Had a viscosity reading of 10.) (30 being that the oil was tested at 190 deg F and had a viscosity reading of 30.) In my 86 comanche I run the 15w-40 rotella because of the zinc.

This oil is still SL rated.

castrol-gtx-diesel-02.gif

Been using this since i learned about all the ratings and the Goverment slowly killing our enginies off by mandating crappy oils. The current rating is now SN All these new claims about new oils being fine in older vehicles is crap. Just like Ethanol blended fuels, its all the goverments way to kill off the old "dirty" equipment and force us into new age garbage and sadly soon there will be nothing we can do about it soapbox.gif

Been a castrol fan for a while now . Always 5w-30 . Last summer , I switched to Castrols 0w-30 in my 5.9 Grand . It's Castrol's only 100% synthetic oil , the rest are blended . I was having just a slight tic when first starting everyday , just a second or 2 , but there . I have not heard it since . Honestly , the MPG's have gone up as well .

It's a little more money again than the other synthetics , but I doubt I will buy any other type of oil .

I'm not one to be impressed with any certain types of fancy oils , but , this one did impress me alot . It's also in my 5.2 Grand , my wife's Aveo , and about to go in the new to me Comanche engine .

i just switched in pennzoil 10w40 to clean out the watered down 10w30 and it runs a lot better. i hear no valve noise AT ALL anymore after shutoff, just the oil draining back into the pan. jamminz.gif ill run that for a few weeks and then change the filter to WIX and oil to Rotella (forgot delo :doh: )

i run nothing but synth oil in my maxima though and it up the performance after the first change :thumbsup:

I work at an Advance auto and I hear every different thing from every different customer. I've always used castrol up until just recently, when i switched to rotella.

There is one customer that pretty much has me sold on Amsoil though. He's a travelling guitar teacher. Middle aged gent, mild mannered, and quite knowledgeable in pretty much anything under the sun. Hates the government.

He's got a 2003 Corolla with 650,000 miles. And a 1996 camry with 430,000. And he just got rid of his 94 EXPLORER with 470,000 miles. And he says he only changes his oil every 25,000 with Amsoil and a K&N filter.

This oil is still SL rated.

castrol-gtx-diesel-02.gif

Been using this since i learned about all the ratings and the Goverment slowly killing our enginies off by mandating crappy oils. The current rating is now SN All these new claims about new oils being fine in older vehicles is crap. Just like Ethanol blended fuels, its all the goverments way to kill off the old "dirty" equipment and force us into new age garbage and sadly soon there will be nothing we can do about it soapbox.gif

Yup, GTX diesel is what I run, I work at O'Reillys and pretty much went through every single oil we carried on the shelves to see which was SL rated.

It was a while ago but I remember these:

Royal Purple

Mobil 1 HiMi

Peak

Mystic HDEO

Castrol GTX Diesel HDEO

O'Reilly's HiMi

I don't trust additives at all, even stuff like Lucas "oil stabilizer" can have ill effects on your motor

And then we had some old bottles on the shelves, all of which I bought eventually

the 15w40 rotella is a diesel motor oil that contains zinc,which helps with the tapping in the low end torque engines is how it was explained to me by engine rebuild guy. when i bought the engine he gave me engine break in additive which is basically a zinc additive too. so i run the rotella.

the big thing with the inline 6's is don't use the fram filters :)

diesel motor oil that contains zinc sorry not true - diesel bearings are made with silver ..oil using zinc is a big trouble .. todays oil has almost no zinc dichromate due to the EPA which means trouble in the long run ....

the 15w40 rotella is a diesel motor oil that contains zinc,which helps with the tapping in the low end torque engines is how it was explained to me by engine rebuild guy. when i bought the engine he gave me engine break in additive which is basically a zinc additive too. so i run the rotella.

the big thing with the inline 6's is don't use the fram filters :)

diesel motor oil that contains zinc sorry not true - diesel bearings are made with silver ..oil using zinc is a big trouble .. todays oil has almost no zinc dichromate due to the EPA which means trouble in the long run ....

They have the ZDDP additive, which helps flat tappet camshafts

Zddp is Zinc dialkyldithiophosphates