Ah crap...

DirtyComanche

I rode the inside of my rim on my old XJ all the way to the shoulder once. It shined up the inside of the aluminum nice 8)

All the sudden the back dropped out from underneath me (and my then G/F) and I got it to stop. Good thing we were on a country road. I couldn't believe that had happened. Guess thats what happens when you don't torque the nuts. Anyway, I robbed a nut from every other wheel and drove the rest of the 30 miles home on ~three nuts at each wheel.

They were torqued right; at least I am pretty certain they were. I check them after I drive it normally... Maybe I should try before from now on...

4 studs were gone, either sheared or stripped and fell out. Two were still in but stripped. I was doing about 40km/h when I felt the wobble and stuck my head out of the window and went 'oh $#!&'. It hit the pavement pretty hard, but I think the rotor is still serviceable.

There was some thread damage on them before, as it was a junkyard axle... Guess it serves me right for not replacing them.

Happened on my GMC. A nice day of climbing around the playground with it, and I decide to take the trail home instead of the road. Turning corners going about 15 and I hear a grinding and get out and my hub is set on the center of my wheel with all the studs stripped and a trail of 8 lug nuts behind me.

Also the jack I had been carrying turned out to not work, and the P.O.S. Harbor Freight breaker bar fell apart. Suck.

I've heard the more often you take off and put on wheels, the more likely the wheel is to not stay on. Thread wear maybe?

haha same thing happened to me in my old cherokee, i was comin home from my parents house and all the sudden it felt like i had a flat tire.. so i proceeded to pull to the shoulder when the back left dropped even further.. and my tire passed me on the road! that was a fun day.. did i mention it was pouring rain out haha

There was some thread damage on them before, as it was a junkyard axle... Guess it serves me right for not replacing them.

junkyard axle....studs too short (or too long) maybe? What kinda lugnuts you use, open or closed? Was it just one side or both?

either way, that still sucks.

Jeff

(p.s. did you piss anyone off lately? :D )

(p.s. did you piss anyone off lately? :D )

It stays inside! So, nope.

The nuts are fine. They're acorns, but they're the right length for the studs. The studs are also the right length for the rims...

To top up the fun, nobody stocks the studs I need! Had to order the damn things in...

Most likely in the past some tire "technician" used a Gorilla gun without torque sticks and stretched (or stripped) the studs. I refuse to allow anyone but me to touch my lug nuts. If I need tires, I take the bare rims to the shop in the back of the MJ and they mount the tires and balance them. Then I bring 'em home and install them.

I always torque the lug nuts with a click-release torque wrench. I use anti-seize on the studs, so I use a torque setting of 85 pounds. (You're supposed to reduce torque when the threads are lubricated, I trust y'all knew that). So far (knock on wood) I've never had a problem. The XJ is now over 260,000 miles. The MJs are trying to catch up ...