Another project:

Sir Sam

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I got the build sheet back today, turns out it does have a sentry key, which if the key is really missing is going to cause me problems, on the info page it says "YES" to keys, but the miles were never recorded, and "N/K" (no key) is written on the windshield from when it came in. Hopefully they got the keys later and its included, but incase it doesn't have a key I stopped by the dealer and got a non chipped one made, I won't be able to start it with that key, but I at least will be able to move the thing around untill I can find a DRBIII or a locksmith to reprogram the key.

The thing of it is the sentry key won't stop a smart thief, if you have a key and matching SKIM you can plug those in to the existing SMIK circuit(leaving the one it came with, and that will send the "OK" message on the PCI bus to the ECU to start it, then you just need to crack the tubmler out to start it.

Keeps the honest people honest, and the dumb criminals honest.

Well the Jeep was delivered today, turns out it did come with a correct cut security key, but that key was never programmed to the vehicle.

Plus it seems like the tranny shift cable is off or broken or something, it looks like its stuck in drive because when I jump start it(ran power down to the starter solenoid) lurches forward on me, so I need to get the shifter fixed, then I ought to be able to start it without it lurching forward on me, and move it around 3 secs at a time.

Pics:

swj1.JPG

swj2.JPG

swj3.JPG

swj4.JPG

swj5.JPG

swj6.JPG

swj7.JPG

swj8.JPG

Unfortunatly it looks like some body work was done a long time ago that while being a GREAT spray and bodywork, was never sealed correctly and rusted from the inside, I guess I get to be the guy to strip it off and fix it, I'll probably just pickup a new rear door to call that one good.

swj9.JPG

swj10.JPG

swj11.JPG

swj12.JPG

swj13.JPG

swj14.JPG

swj15.JPG

Dumbass wasn't wearing their seatbelt when it happened and hit the steering wheel and bent it. Ya the airbag may save your life, but if you hit the steering wheel hard enough with your chest to bend it your probably gonna wish you had your seatbelt on. Dumbass. I guess now I HAVE to put that Overland Steering wheel on.

swj16.JPG

It was also a smokers car so there are cig burns on the seats as well a smell to it. I swear smokers cars are always so revolting, I have to get the smell out of the thing to sell it. Between Homicide, Suicide and Smokers cars I tell ya the smoke is the nastiest, its much easier to get out other smells than smoke smells.

swj17.JPG

swj18.JPG

swj19.JPG

Someone stole the faceplate off of it between when I saw it and when I got it delivered to me this morning, *******s, I might see if I can get a new one, or I might just throw in a 6 disk changer I have here from a KJ and call it good, depends on if they hacked the wiring behind the radio or not.

swj20.JPG

Bravo sir... And since you seem to be savvy on the auctions... How does one become involved? I would love to do what you do, but I think you have to be a dealer or licensed to even get through the door...

Rob

This particular auction does not require you to be anything other than a registered bidder, $75 a year renewal and $75 setup fee.

iaai.com is another big one, but its $250 a year and has various licensing requirements. Sometime only a sales tax ID is good enough, others require dealers license or salvage license etc.

Well butter my bread. TRA has an auction house in Milwaukee and Chicago near me. Going to have to make an excursion out to one of these... Can you just show up and watch before buying in?

Rob

Each TRA location is different. Mine used to be Klode, but now its been absorbed into the mass known as TRA, so while TRA seems to have many locations, my bidders account is only good a TRA mountain west (aka klode).

Is this gonna be another vehicle for your "cousin", who is then gonna back out of the deal and leave you holding the bag??

Saw the ad for the 60th aniv. XJ on craigslist.. Why the deception?

Actually that was mostly true, once I got into fixing it they started talking about wanting to buy it(though I initially just bought it for a flip), she really is about to have her second kid, and he really does have a POS mustang that they need to replace, and I really was getting it ready thinking that she and her kids would be driving around in it. When we came close to the end of me working on it I got a response of "well I think we want to get a wrangler" which tells me that they don't really know what they need, and that he wants a toy. They are both younger than me(24) and are expecting a second kid, and he wants a toy instead of something that will actually get them to work. They were going to have to borrow the money from my aunt and uncle to buy it from me, and he wants to get a toy. :doh:

But as far as the deception, people don't like to hear that you bought a vehicle with the sole purpose to fix it and resell it. And if they know what you pay for it then they think they can get a deal, it don't work that way, I've spent $2764.85 so far on it, and its getting higher and higher. Lets say I wind up with $3300 tied up in it and get $4300 out of it. That's $1000 profit considering I've had my money tied up since last friday, and 2 weeks if you consider that my cash was sitting with the auctioneer since the friday before that. If I move really quick maybe in another 2 weeks I can get it for sale. So when people think "well crap, your making money off of it anyways, then I can talk you down a bunch" it makes it harder to deal. If people think I'm already stretching it(which I am) then they are less likely to try and lowball you.

It's all games, I hate it and I hate being "On" when it comes time to make a sale, but I suck it up and say my thing. When I buy a car I look at it, add up what I need to do in my mind and tell them what I can afford to pay. If the numbers don't line up they don't line up, but other people want to haggle and deal, and I have to deal with that.

Don't hate the player, hate the game. :smart:

Just giving you a hard time.. I've sold a few autos on Craigslist too.. I also hate being "on".. I feel like a cheesy buy here, pay here salesman.. The worst one was a jetta I sold for my mom.. It had got about 3 inches of rain and hail through the sunroof, so it had electrical gremlins.. I said "i think its a fuse but I don't know where the fuse box is." Felt so bad. But I sold it..

Maybe you should change your name to selling Sam.. "where nobody beats a selling Sam deal, nobody.."

Flipping cars is a dirty business. I would say that Sir Sam is probably the most honest "flipper" I've ever seen in terms of doing repairs properly and not cutting any corners. I've seen some flipped cars that were held together with duct tape and became a ticking time bomb for the new owner.

I flipped a car once. The one time I did I sat on the car for over 3 months with it for sale. It was a '94 Mercury Sable, white exterior and forest green inside. It had around 100k on it and the motor I put in it had 54k on it. The blue book with that original mileage said $3300 so I ended up selling it for $1750. Here's the catch though, after the buyer took the car for a test drive and we settled on a price of $1800 he came back with the cash the same day telling me it's low on gas he'll only pay $1750.

I was HOT :headpop: Who in their right mind would talk someone down another $50 bones for a used car being low on gas? :fs1: Everyone knows we only put just enough to get by in case someone steals it. And this was when gas was under $2 a gallon. I didn't have the energy to verbally fight back but I had the energy to punch him in the throat for being a prick.

The good news is I bought the car for $100, put $500 into it because it had a cracked head and wanted to get $1000 profit from it, well I got it. Lesson learned.

for anyone else considering doing this, flipping cars can bring some good side money. i have 2 sitting around waiting for my tax refund so i can get the parts. when i flip a car, i always price it on the low side of the value. after all, i'm making a good profit for the time i put into it, but whoever buys it still gets a good deal. everyone wins. one guideline i've come up with is look for a car that's about 10 years old, needs either a motor or transmission, and can be had for 300-500. figuring it needs a couple other things, i can usually put between 1000-1500 into a car that's now worth 3500-4500. i can fairly easily get $2000 out of it, have 10-30 hours into, and still sell it for less than the average cost of that model of car. sometimes i'll pay a bit more or get a little less, but still get a grand out of it for less than an average work week worth of hours.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hmm, haven't updated in awhile:

New hatch:

swj59.JPG

WJ Dana 30.....and the big brakes that will go on my XJ:

swj60.JPG

Hatch again:

swj61.JPG

This is me fighting to get the old gears and carrier out:

swj62.JPG

swj63.JPG

swj64.JPG

swj65.JPG

swj66.JPG

swj67.JPG

swj68.JPG

New hatch:

swj59.JPG

WJ Dana 30.....and the big brakes that will go on my XJ:

swj60.JPG

Hatch again:

swj61.JPG

Then I spent more time than I should have fighting the old windshield to get it cut out, and after much glass and much cleanup I got it cutout and got to the jacking:

swj69.JPG

swj70.JPG

swj71.JPG

swj72.JPG

swj73.JPG

swj74.JPG

So its mostly jacked back into place, going to do a little more, then I'm going to think about going and getting a new windshield to size up and make sure my jacking is good, then when thats all good go ahead and glue it in.