Another project:

Sir Sam

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes paint in garage.

It's called a clean title, texas is the only state I know of that arbitrarily sets colors for titles that mean nothing to everyone outside of texas.

NJ may do it, too. The salvage title for my '98XJ is red, but it's also eight years old and that simply may have been the color of all titles back then. I'm not sure since I never owned my own car way back then, but all of my newer titles are blue (well, purpleish blue). Only around the borders, though.

Lookin' good Sam. I feel I'm fortunate in that i don't have to flip cars for a profit. I do it mostly because I enjoy doing it and to keep busy. However I never turn down a chance to make a buck. Just a sidenote. I live 12 miles out of town. The last 2 miles is unimproved, muffler dragging, spring breaking, jaw rattling cattle trail. There are 2 advantages to this. No gestapo agents showing up telling me I have to do this or that or that I can't do this or that. And when somebody does show up I know they're a serious buyer, not a looky Lou.

Yes paint in garage.

It's called a clean title, texas is the only state I know of that arbitrarily sets colors for titles that mean nothing to everyone outside of texas.

Meh, my 67' Mustang's California title was blue... :D

Yes paint in garage.

Meh, my 67' Mustang's California title was blue... :D

Ya and all my titles are Green, but it don't mean nothing. No one from this state has heard of a "pink slip" either.

I just think its silly to assign a color based on title status, sure it would be great if there was an ISO title standard, but there isn't.

Dangit!

I went to get a windshield today and the place that sold pilkington here in town shut down, so now I dunno where to get a windshield, gonna have to google I suppose.

Little bit of a setback.

@#!$!@#$

So the key got programmed yesterday, this morning I went to move it around and the vehicle wouldn't stay running, shut off after 3 seconds just like it were an unprogrammed key.

Called up the locksmith, he came back by and cut a new transponder key, programmed it and it worked just fine, tested the old key out and it worked just fine too.

So I got no idea, I just hope it's fixed. If not this is going to be a painful learning experience.

To top it off I'm starting to get sick so I might loose the next few days to illness, yarg!

• 3 weeks later...

some updates, got my ECU flashed to remove the SKIS system from it, so now it only needs a mechanical key to start the vehicle, thats fine with me. Cost less to get the SKIS system deleted than to key a single key programmed by a locksmith. Oh well.

Also Got some paint sprayed, windshield guy should be coming back over tomorrow to install new windshield so I needed to get the roof done for him. Got the base coat on and I think I'm done with it, gonna let it dry a bit longer and then mix up the clear and shoot it.

Went with diamont base and limco clear(both by BASF). The limco base we couldn't get a good matching silver to the old, stepped up to the diamont, at a fair amount more cost, and got a great matching paint. The diamont ran about $98 for the quart, the limco would have been about 35 for the base, though in not as good of a match.

swj79.JPG

swj80.JPG

swj81.JPG

Done with this part. Looks like I mixed up the perfect amount of clear to spray. Looks pretty good, got a little bit of a run and some dust, but I suspect I'll be buffing it down a bit anyways. Looking good so far.

swj82.JPG

swj83.JPG

What's a pink slip?

In the late forties, early fifties California registration slips were pink. They were all that was necessary to prove ownership of a vehicle. Also along this time hot rod movies were the biggies, Hot Rod Girls, Death Club. Crash Club, Beach Racers, etc, etc. One of the major plots in these movies was racing for pink slips, that is both racers would put up the pink slip to their hot rod, with the winner taking possession of both vehicles. California led. The rest of the nation followed.

Finally got my windshield in! (light at the end of the tunnel for this project it feels like)

swj84.JPG

swj85.JPG

swj86.JPG

swj87.JPG

Also to give you an idea of what a little buffing will do I went from this dusty and somewhat orange peely finish:

swj83.JPG

To this:

swj84.JPG