Cole's Question thread

OK I am stealing this idea on a question thread.... ;) .....Its a good idea so here are two for ya to start...

1..Will a newer (like 91) YJ 2.5 bolt right in with all the usual engine swap stuff (i.e. wiring and stuff). Also it has an AX-5 so would mine work with it or did they change them in the early 90s??? Also if I don't get this motor should I rebuild or buy a new longblock??/I found them for around 1100 so I think it would be cheaper to buy one.

2..I just got a D44 rear and I want to go as low as i can with gears....The 44 will take 5.38s and the HPD30 will only take 4.88s I would like to get the 5.38s. Soooo my question is what axle is a good swap to keep same bolt pattern and match the rear width??? I know a D44 out of a rubicon would be Ideal if I can find one and I also know about the LPD30 taking the 5.38s but i don't want a LP front cause my lift and everything would constitute a new D-Shaft and might cause some Binding??? What would another option be???

Thanks for any reply's just planning what I want to get when I get home.

Cole

The YJ motor is prob direct port injection, and I believe yours is throttle body injection. If this is the case, you can still use the block, not sure on the head.

I paid 1200 for my long block with a 3 year, 36000 mile warranty, so 1100 isn't bad.

I've heard weird things about the Rubi 44. Something like Dana 30 axle shafts with a 44 center section and outers.

I've heard weird things about the Rubi 44. Something like Dana 30 axle shafts with a 44 center section and outers.

LP D44 centre, D44 inners (sorta...), D30 knuckles and outers. It is a POLISHED TURD!

Oh, and they cost a LOT.

Anyways, there's no front axles that you can swap in that are the right width and bolt pattern and any stronger, other than said rubi axle, and there's an 80-something dodge axle that came in some sort of smaller truck (dakota? dunno) that is rumoured to be the right width and sports the 5x4.5 bolt pattern. However, it has unit bearings like the D30/Rubi-D44, and is apparently very weak.

If you're willing to change bolt patterns, then you can narrow a Ford HPD44. I was going to do that - too much work.

OK with just these replys I have decided to go with the Said 4.88s since I don't want to go fullwidth YET (well i don't have the means to do it how I want to yet) and thats a yet as in It WILL be done with fullwidths somethime in the next few years. Thats is when I get my second MJ to slam down low and make a sort-of rat rod type rig out of for my DD then the truggy fullwidth will get done.

Anyway on the motor side I would be getting computer and all so the MPI shouldnt be an issue and yes mine is TBI. I have even consider getting a reman motor bored 30 or 60 over cause they are the same price and ill get a little boost out of it.

QUESTION 3... Has anyone totally rebuilt there 2.5 and I am talking pistons and crank and cam and all the exterior stuff as well??? If so how much did it run and where did you get the parts. I am wanting t5o make my trucks drivetrain as good if not better than new is why I am asking.

Cole

QUESTION 3... Has anyone totally rebuilt there 2.5 and I am talking pistons and crank and cam and all the exterior stuff as well??? If so how much did it run and where did you get the parts. I am wanting t5o make my trucks drivetrain as good if not better than new is why I am asking.

Rebuild parts for the 2.5L should be available anywhere. The pistons, rings, and both rod and main bearings are the same as in the 4.0L -- plus Dodge used the 2.5L in the Dakota for a number of years. It's not like it's a rare engine or anything.

Anyways, there's no front axles that you can swap in that are the right width and bolt pattern and any stronger, other than said rubi axle, and there's an 80-something dodge axle that came in some sort of smaller truck (dakota? dunno) that is rumoured to be the right width and sports the 5x4.5 bolt pattern. However, it has unit bearings like the D30/Rubi-D44, and is apparently very weak.

Hmmm, never heard of such a thing. :hmm: I'm certain it's not Dakota though, they all came with IFS.

Yeah, I took the lazy empty-my-wallet path. Engine cost $1600 upfront, and they gave me $400 for my core. The motor was used for almost 20 years, there should be plenty of goods out there to rebuild it.

Oh, and someone just rebuilt theres on here. He's the one looking for the injector in the classifieds section.

• 2 weeks later...