Fuel sending units

Do you need one because your fuel pump took a dump? If so, you don't need the whole unit, just the pump, which will be substantially cheaper. The pumps should be the same between the MJ/XJ, but the sending units are completely different.

91-92 MJ sending units are a two year animal. The 90 and below Renix units will not interchange because of the fuel gauge voltage output polarity change for the HO years. Nor will an HO XJ unit work, mirror image. Your only options are to repair the one you have, or find a usable one from a 91-92 MJ at the PnPs. Good luck.

91-92 MJ sending units are a two year animal. The 90 and below Renix units will not interchange because of the fuel gauge voltage output polarity change for the HO years. Nor will an HO XJ unit work, mirror image. Your only options are to repair the one you have, or find a usable one from a 91-92 MJ at the PnPs. Good luck.

This is what I was thinking...But the local shop that fixed my brakes for me said they could get one. 460 bucks installed or something like that..Mirror image of each other..sorry I'm not understanding this part or the pic above..

This is what I was looking at but I see they list Cherokee as a vehicle that its compatable for. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/91-92-Je ... ccessories

Yes, I've seen that on Ebay. I have a correct NOS 91-92 MJ sender and compared it to the Ebay pic; it's all wrong, the p/u pipe bends the other way. The one on Ebay is for the HO XJs. I'll post some pics of both later so you can see. :cheers:

Yes, I've seen that on Ebay. I have a correct NOS 91-92 MJ sender and compared it to the Ebay pic; it's all wrong, the p/u pipe bends the other way. The one on Ebay is for the HO XJs. I'll post some pics of both later so you can see. :cheers:

Thank you I would appreciate it!

91-92 MJ sending units are a two year animal. The 90 and below Renix units will not interchange because of the fuel gauge voltage output polarity change for the HO years.

actually Don....they will work, you just have to remember that your fuel gauge is backwards, and off by about 1/4 tank ;)

I'm running an HO assembly in my 87 with no mechanical problems (aside from the gauge), I'm sure a renix assembly would work the opposite in an HO.

Jeff

Thank you I would appreciate it!

Ebay Sender

91-92 MJ Sender

Pretty hard to tell anything unless they are side by side. They do look pretty close though.

And yes, I know the MJ Renix and HO senders swap work per se. Work correctly? No. And yes, you can change the output polarity of either sender by disconnecting the output wire from the leg of the potentiometer and resoldering to the other leg. The gauge still be inaccurate though because the potentiometers are of different values, but at least the gauge will deflect in the proper direction.

Hey guys,

I'm in the same boat with my 89 MJ Renix. I noticed the other day I had a gas leak under the truck towards the driveshaft area. After putting it up on a lift Friday, it appears 1-2 tubes coming out of the sending unit is leaking/wet. CRAP!!!!

I have already replaced the electric fuel pump and tank once since owning it.

Option 1- Like Eagle suggested, wire brush and epoxy. Any recommendations on the better epoxy? Only want to do this once.

Option2- Find a good used fuel sending unit on here. Those sending units are hard to find. Trying to get something worked out with one of the guys on here.

Thanks guys!

Scott