Clutch Leak

OK so I head to Training this morning at 5:00am already pissed cause its 5:00am and I hate getting up early but anyways I get in my truck after the cold night we had I cranked it up to let it warm a little but I noticed my clutch pedal felt wierd. Well I headed out and as I drove it started getting lower and lower. when I got where i was going I checked and the resivior was dry.....Soooo I looked under it and saw a soaking wet tranny and transfer case. Obviously a leak has sprung badly. My issue is I refilled it just a little bit ago and its doing fine. Here comes the QUESTION can a real cold temp cause seals to leak in the slave cylinder???? Or something of that nature??? Just a thought because it didnt do it until it started getting cold. I am going to replace it anyways but not until mid summer cause I want be here to drive it. I just need to know if it will last about another month of driving??

Cole

Hate to tell you, but it's gonna get worse rather quickly. When mine went, I noticed it just starting to drip from the bell, and 2 days later as I was pulling it into the garage it went all the way. I'd say change it asap before it strands you somewhere.

Well the thing is if I do get stranded I will be on base so It would be easy to get home. :D I figured it wouldnt last to much longer but if I can finish out this week and a couple of days here and there I will be fine. I just wanted to know if anyone had heard of it only leaking in the cold???? OH well I guess Ill add it to the TO BUY list. :brows:

Cole

Rev throught the gear and once you need to shift slip it out of gear when it feels like its going to fall out, then in a quick and fluent??SP?? motion go to the next gear. Hope that helps but its kinda hard for me to explain just get in your truck and run it down the road revving it up and letting off as you do it slightly tug on the shifter and you will feel it hit the soft spot. Its also harder and not as good on it doing it as you down shift it but its possible with a little revving after you slip out of gear.

Cole

I hardly use my Toys clutch, except on idle at a light or such.

The tranny falls out of gear easily when it's at the speed the engine wants, and it slides into another gear when it wants.

Drive your truck up to 30 maybe and slide the shifter into neutral, now hold it like you're going to puch it into gear (2nd or 3rd probably), and when you hit a certain speed, the shifter will slide into the gear.

My first time was magical.

The tranny falls out of gear easily when it's at the speed the engine wants, and it slides into another gear when it wants.

Drive your truck up to 30 maybe and slide the shifter into neutral, now hold it like you're going to puch it into gear (2nd or 3rd probably), and when you hit a certain speed, the shifter will slide into the gear.

just so I don't fubar my AX-4, I'll try with my buddy's old Frog F-150 5spd,.

:rotf: I'm not effin up MY truck... lemme use yours!

:rotf: I'm not effin up MY truck... lemme use yours!

Thats the best one I have heard in awhile. Just don't force it if its grinding bad and nothing should be hurt. Hell you can always tell your buddy that your foot slipped during your shift if you brake it. :brows:

Cole

Usually if the slave goes bad you have no clutch. Check the hose between the master and slave. Mine cracked right where there's a sharp bend, near the upper end where it goes past the exhaust manifold. That was enough to let all the fluid out. If that's the problem, the hose is a lot easier (and cheaper) to replace than an internal slave cylinder.

Well the thing is When I get back I am doing a complete drivetrain rebuild jamminz.gif . So I am not wanting to mess with this one until I get back. My buddy left me the keys to his truck and YJ so if I need to I can drive it :brows: while hes deployed. Thanks for the great info on this I just wanted to see if It might last me a week or so more. :cheers:

Cole

I just had the same problem about two weeks ago... had to replace my slave. Anyway, they're right about it getting worse quickly but i'll bet you can get another week out of it. I just carried some fluid with me and added as needed. You might have to pump the pedal sometimes to build up the pressure. That got me through about 2 weeks until i had the time to swap the part out. Good luck Bro :cheers:

P.S. How's Shaw?? I'm at Seymour, NC

Shaw is great I have a buddy up there from High school at Seymour He is CE readiness the same as me. He might have tought your NBC class??

I like shaw cause I am only about 4 hrs from my home town so I don't have to see the family everyday but I can see them when I want. I am looking to PCS somewhere though I think I have done enough for Shaw and Its time to move on Hopefully to Guam jamminz.gif

Cole