Yes, I know it's an MJ board but....

Dechion

Yep, you read it right.

I know it's an MJ board, but there's folks here that know Jeeps and I needs me some halp!

I am working on the "wagon queen family truckster" AKA the '94 XJ I picked up to tote the kids from point a to b (with possible side trips through a mud hole, it's a 4WD as well).

Here's the deal, A week or so ago I pulled an XJ that the rancher was going to scrap out of the snowbank it was living in. It was along side the barn for several months, anyhow I had a flat bed dump it in my (regrettabley unheated) garadge.

Accordign to the PO, (who I don't think would lie to me as he is a friend of the family), it ran last Oct when it was parked there. The original problem was a busted hinge weld on the drivers door, so his daughter parked it and started driving her Wangler.

Well, I managed to get the door repaired (pix in the DIY section) so thats no longer an issue.

Now my problem is that it has no spark. So far I have ruled out plugs, cap, and rotor. (they are getting replaced anyhow, but no spark at the coil)

I also put a meter across the CPS and Ohm'ed it out as good. On the K ohms setting it reads open from pin b to c in the connector at least.

I am thinking looking up a procedure to bench test the coil, though it does not appear to be getting any power. I really don't think thats the problem, but one never knows.

I checked every fuse I could find with no luck as well.

Any advice on where to go from here?

Edit: I should probably mention that it's a '94 4WD XJ with a 5 speed manual and a 4.0L motor.

Well, I am banking on the cam position sensor. After looking at what a new plate would cost, and at what it owuld cost me to go to the JY and pick one up, I ended up just picking up a rebuilt distributor complete with sensor. With a coupon I had sitting at the house it was only like $11 more than just the sensor would have been.

I'll update later after I get it installed.

Well, I am banking on the cam position sensor. After looking at what a new plate would cost, and at what it owuld cost me to go to the JY and pick one up, I ended up just picking up a rebuilt distributor complete with sensor. With a coupon I had sitting at the house it was only like $11 more than just the sensor would have been.

I'll update later after I get it installed.

DON'T SCREW UP.

the distributor doesn't just drop in. you need to mark where the contact end of the rotor is sitting with a black marker on the old one, then pull it out, and mark what position it turns counter clock wise to. then make the new one sit exactly the same way before you install it.

if it won't go all the way down, you've got the center shaft in the wrong position.

I said just the sensor because then you don't have to worry about indexing the distributor properly.

It... Is.... Alive!

Thanks for the help folks. The Distributor did it.

No, it was the hall effect sensor that did it. FYI these cost like 98 cents at radio shack.

Or just grab a good plate with the hall effect sensor in it.

Or grab a whole distributor, take the plate off of it, and then return the distributor with your old plate on it to the junkyard and get a refund. But I would only do that to the junkyard that screwed me over.

Rest assured next time I hit up the junk yard I'll be picking one up to have on the shelf.

I just found all 3 of them that I thought I had....when I was going through parts storage this morning. so screw the junnk yard, next time you're over pick one up from me..

Woo Hoo! two weeks of working on it most every day after work and my rescued from behind the barn XJ is running and ready to roll. :cheers:

Now if the :mad: :mad: :mad: DMV was open over the weekend I could get plates for it.