Cargo light

Courage, plus the incredibly good fortune to actually find one!

I remember when I had my interior gutted (and regret now not

making any images) and looking at that spot on the shell wondering

if I could really pull that (drill) trigger. Speaking of cargo lights,

I'm curious if anyone has ever contacted Chrysler to learn if

there's a chance of finding build records from the Toledo assembly

plant. Neat to know how many trucks ever got this light, and,

who the supplier was.

Installed one on Junior just last weekend, and had installed the one on the '89 last August. After I measured and found the center of the window (and the correct height) I put a thin coating of silcone gasket sealer on the back of the rubber seal for insurance.

I did not seal between the plastic housing and the rubber seal as the screws should pull it tight enough to keep water out.

Neither have leaked yet.

I wanted to go with the cargo light/3rd brake light combo off of a Ford Ranger. Just settled for the 3rd brake light alone which I got the light and connectors and about 2 ft, of wire off an XJ. Very easy, one wire off the trailer wiring and a ground.

My mantra is more like measure 5 or 6 times, cut once. It can leave quite a gap in just the wrong place if it's off.

My under dash wiring has a plug for the cargo light switch and as far as I know it's the skinny pink wire up along the b-pillar.

Pictures please.

I WOULD HESITATE ON CUTTING THE METAL. I MOUNTED A FOG LIGHT ON TO THE BED AND REVERSED IT WHERE IT WAS HIDDEN IN THE CORNER. WIRE WAS EASY TO RUN TO THE BATTERY AND GROUND, AND I PUT A PUSH/PULL SWITCH ON THE LOWER PART OF THE DASH. IT WORKS JUST FINE AND YOU KEEP THE INTEGRITY OF THE CAB. IT'S A CHEAP SETUP...-CAJUN