More Door Lock Cylinder puzzles...

Ok long story short, I purchased my 90 Eliminator and it didnt come with any keys for the doors. New Door lock cylinders are not available through Advance Auto or Federated, I don't have a real local locksmith to turn to and the local Dealer will be no help with a 20 year old truck. I could check a junkyard but even if i was lucky enough to find 1 or 2 they would probably want me to purchase the entire door... So besides stealing the passengers side lock outta my 88 and getting another key made to match it is there any other resource i could use to get a new or used door lock cylinder for my 90?

Thanks! :wrench:

I shoot at a range where one of the members works at a nearby locksmith. I'm pretty sure they can make keys from the cylinders. If you're interested in sending me one or both cylinders to have him do it, let me know and I'll ask him what it would cost -- and whether he can work from one cylinder or if he needs both.

I got an MJ without keys once.

I thought I was smart, and pulled the glove box lock to home-cut a key (key blank + file & patience).

:doh: I did not realize they use one less tumbler in the glove box lock (if the doors use 5, the glove box only uses 4 of them, I forget the exact number now).

I ended up prying the chrome cover off the door lock cylinder to access the tumblers, and cut the key from that.

First one I did looked bad, but with practice, I was able to remove & replace the chrome cap without completely killing it.

Get a comfortable seat, a good, small file, and a blank key,

you'll have replacement keys in no time. :yes:

My dads been a professional locksmith for almost 30 years, I'm sure he has the code somewhere :D ... And shipping wouldn't be bad because I'm in NY

This reminds me,

it's a long shot,

but if you have the original owners manual, look to see if the original owner wrote down the key codes.

Original keys had codes stamped on the key ring part of the key

(section that gets punched out to put the key on a key ring).

Sometimes these numbers got written down on Pg 1 of the owners manual by the original owners.

I thought I was smart, and pulled the glove box lock to home-cut a key (key blank + file & patience).

:doh: I did not realize they use one less tumbler in the glove box lock (if the doors use 5, the glove box only uses 4 of them, I forget the exact number now).

Ignition key was six tumblers, doors and glove box key was five.

I use a locksmith here that will cut the keys for 15.00, (or re-key the locks to a given key for the same price). when the locks are removed from the door. When I did my last set he had me purchase new lock covers (spring loaded) and as they only came in bulk, he now stores about 15 of them for me.

Let me know if you're interested. Shipping can't be that bad.

I had the ignition key, but not the door key.

It was an 87 MJ, and for sure the glove box had one tumbler less than the doors.

I remember being so proud of myself, cutting the key for the glovebox,

working it till the action was absolutely perfect,

then :fs1: :fs2: :wall: when it did not work at all in the doors.

I figured one, or both locks/doors/glovebox door had been changed,

till I opened up the door lock, and saw it was exactly the same, except for having one extra tumbler

(keyed the same as the glovebox, except for the extra tumbler).

YMMV,

but you're making me think about pulling the cylinder out of a spare glovebox door to check my sanity. :D

Thanks for all the suggestions guys, I decided to just take the passenger side cylinder outta my 88 and swap it with the 90. Ill just get a copy of my 88s Key tomorrow and will only have access to 1 door lock on each truck, O Well who acctually used the passenger side door lock anyway :dunno:

all fixed :wrench:

It was an 87 MJ, and for sure the glove box had one tumbler less than the doors.

till I opened up the door lock, and saw it was exactly the same, except for having one extra tumbler

YMMV,

but you're making me think about pulling the cylinder out of a spare glovebox door to check my sanity. :D

The glove box lock may use four tumblers instead of five, but the same key operates the door locks and the glove box, and it's a five-bit key. The ignition key is a six-bit key.

YMMV,

The glove box lock may use four tumblers instead of five, but the same key operates the door locks and the glove box, and it's a five-bit key. The ignition key is a six-bit key.

:thumbsup:

Thanks Eagle.