Lock cylinder question

I picked up a 94 Cherokee for my daughter over the weekend. It's needs work, but thats another story.

What I was looking at was the way the lock set is set up. My MJ, like everyone elses, uses seperate keys for the doors and ignition. This Cherokee has one key that works for both.

Does anyone know off hand whether I could pick up a lockset like hers and set my MJ up to run off one key?

You will need to replace both the door locks and the ignition to make this work. The early style ignition keys use 6 tumblers and the door keys only use 5, so they can't be keyed alike even though the ignition key will slide into the door lock.

The early style ignition keys use 6 tumblers and the door keys only use 5, so they can't be keyed alike even though the ignition key will slide into the door lock.

By early style do you mean the Renix years? My 91 uses only one key for everything, including the glove compartment. Guess you could find a 91+ XJ/MJ and take all the lock cylinders out of it.

A friend of mine used to go to this one locksmith that would redo the lock cylinders in all of his cars so he could use one key for everything. And he had a lot of cars. If you don't mind spending a little bit more, you can do that as well.

But my 91 also has one key for everything, including the ability to take the key out and leave it running.... The key to my motorcycle also opens it and starts it. Same with a pocket knife.

The early style ignition keys use 6 tumblers and the door keys only use 5, so they can't be keyed alike even though the ignition key will slide into the door lock.

By early style do you mean the Renix years? My 91 uses only one key for everything, including the glove compartment. Guess you could find a 91+ XJ/MJ and take all the lock cylinders out of it.

I wasn't certain when Chrysler changed to one key, so I really meant "the 2-key years." Maybe that neatly corresponds to the Renix years, which ended with the 1990 model year.

I'll be on the lookout for a set. Thanks folks.

I'd probably have you covered. I believe that I have the lock cylinders for the doors, ignition, and glove box.

If you do I'll take you up on that next time I see you =)