coolant problem.and a question.

so guys, i replaced my water pump today and when i was waiting for my thermostat to open when i was puttin water back in my engine was gettin reallly hot.so we let it set for 5 minutes and opend the cap to the reservoir and all the coolant drained then.isnt there suppost to be a hole or somethin to let air in there so the coolant can go to the block?? and does a 87 2wd manche have a dana 44 in the back with a 4:10 gear??

dejavu

i replaced my waterpump today also and also had the manche run hot on start up and the surge tank never drained out any of the coolant in there, i removed the top radiator hose and filled from there when coolant started coming out of the block where it attaches i stuck it back on and tightened up the clamp fired it up and everything was fine after that. i guess alot of guys cut that hose and put a radiator cap tube assembly there.

With the closed system you still have to purge trapped air. My method is to run it until it's hot, then shut it off. As it cools, it'll suck the coolant out of the reservoir. Once it stops sucking, fill it to the halfway mark and repeat. And repeat ... until it doesn't suck any more coolant when it cools down.

Remember that the coolant bottle is an expansion tank. it must NOT be filled to the cap -- it is supposed to be filled halfway ... no more.

my trick to that is to take the hose off the metal pipe coming out of the water pump and fill it until antifreeze starts coming out, it will get rid of most of the air pockets and the t-stat should open at the proper time.

thats what alldata said but do that while engine is off and full cool or during idle on cold start?

the engine should be cold, also pour antifreeze down the steel pipe from the water pump, i just did one yesterday on my brother's MJ and it worked perfectly

well we talk about thermostat housing not waterpump?

I don't understand what you are saying, this thread was about changing a water pump and getting the thermostat to open properly after.

The reason you should fill the metal pipe coming from the water pump is that the water pump will just be sitting there in a pocket of air unable to move fluids needed to cool the engine.

If you get a small funnel and pour antifreeze into the tube coming from the water pump until it flows out, you get rid of that pocket of air that the water pump impeller is sitting in.

the engine should be cold, also pour antifreeze down the steel pipe from the water pump, i just did one yesterday on my brother's MJ and it worked perfectly

well we talk about thermostat housing not waterpump?

I don't understand what you are saying, this thread was about changing a water pump and getting the thermostat to open properly after.

The reason you should fill the metal pipe coming from the water pump is that the water pump will just be sitting there in a pocket of air unable to move fluids needed to cool the engine.

If you get a small funnel and pour antifreeze into the tube coming from the water pump until it flows out, you get rid of that pocket of air that the water pump impeller is sitting in.

ah duh me :dunce: well there alot questions at this thread so i got carried away. sorry man. hmm i should try it but too late i already fill it up from expansion. I'm gonna try do this method from eagle.