4.0 water pump displacement questions.....

So I'm in the middle of bulding a mild 4.6l stroker for the comanche, My question.... I have read some where over on naxja that the 99.5 to01 xj water pumps flow 20% better than the earlier versions. I have not been able to find where i read this and searching the net for 4.0 pump displacement hasent helped any. Can some one clear this up for me because i want to purchase on from my local napa but i want to make shure that its not a reverse rotation pump and that it actualy has an improved flow rate.... some one please chime in. on another note i have a borella exzhaust header off my renix 4.0 that i was planing on using on the HO head that i have for my stroker buld, now after recerch i am almost 100% positive that the exzhaust ports on all of the heads are in the same place it was the intake ports that moved up.... what do you think? please chime in and let me know what you know. :smart:

I know higher flowing water pumps are available, however I don't believe they were ever stock.

I'm 99% sure the reverse rotation pumps were a thing with the 2.5.

Correct, the exhaust ports stayed put. The intake ports moved for the HO head. If your header has a thing for the EGR, make sure to block it off. The HO intake will not have provisions for the EGR pipe.

This excerpt was coppied from this web site http://gojeep.willyshotrod.com/HowtoWaterpump.htm

It is clear to see here the difference in the two impellers with a near new stock one on the left compared to the Hesco one ( #HF58-455 ). JP magazine even reports that Jeep copied the impeller design and used it on the 2001 up Wranglers.

:agree:

I am positive that mopar came out with a redesi comanche.gif ned water pump for the 4.0 that flows 20% better. I'm going to do a bit more recerch on this and i will post up what i find here but i bet that i can get one of the wrangler pumps with the redesighned impeller that flows better than buying a flowcoller or a hisco impeller but i still need to recerch this one...... hopefuly i can conclude that you can get a cheaper alternative watter pump that flows better at a cheaper cost, but we will see i guess :dunno:

So check this out.... :clapping: Mopar infact actualy redesigned the watter pump impellers on the 99 and up 4.0 engines.... they do flow 20% better, they are identical to the flow cooler pump the desighn was actualy coppied from the hiseco impeller desighn. It is a standard rotation pump that is identical to all of are manche's pumps except for the impeller desighn. so after a bit of searching on e-bay a cardone Remaned unit could be had for around 50 and some change. now I won't go with a remaned unit but I'm just saying it is out there ( cardone part number 58-551) I'm in the prosess of trying to find a new unit on fleaby but i may just seeing what vatozone wants for a 2001 TJ water pump thats a new unit... so i guess ill see what comes of that.... :cheers:

I'm 99% sure the reverse rotation pumps were a thing with the 2.5.

Actually, I think all the 4.0L engines have the reverse rotation water pump, because I think all the 4.0L engines use the serpentine belt. The "forward" rotation water pump was used on the older 4.2L engine and the 2.5L engines that had conventional vee belts. Anything with a serpentine belt uses the reverse rotation pump. This is important, because the forward rotation pump uses the same housing bolt pattern and will bolt right onto a 4.0L engine.

It is a standard rotation pump that is identical to all of are manche's pumps except for the impeller desighn.

Nope. Impossible. A standard rotation pump will not work with a serpentine belt. May I ask where you got the information that this redesigned pump is a standard rotation?

So a little update......

I went ahead and purchased the water pump out of a 2003 jeep wrangler from autozone ( new duralast @58.00) but here's the catch :mad: the pump does have the upgraded impeller desighn jamminz.gif Ill post up some pics lated and be doing a complete write up once i have every thing in place and have confermed what i have stated in my last few postings. but on to the catch :shake: Well aparently it is the corect rotation for the pump in our mj's but in the 99 up blocks the pump mounting holes were changed. All but one of the mounting bolts match up, its that one that won't that gets ya. so for this to work i am going to purcase a nother water pump and press off both of the impellers and press the newer desighned impeller on to the W/P from our erra water pump. not a big deal as i have a press that will make quick work of this... Ill probably end up returning on of the pumps as defective so i and regain the price of one of the pumps. no in hind site i realy should have looked to see if anyone just sells the impeller for a rebuld on a 99 water pump and started with that and my old water pump but thats in hindsite now so.... but like i said a write up is in proper order soon i promase comanche.gif

You should get an XJ water pump instead of a Wrangler one. Why did you suddenly decide to get an 03 Wrangler one instead of a 99-01 XJ one? Also, the best cooling upgrade I've seen occurred after I ported my thermostat housing on my mill. No matter how much I beat on that 4.0 it will not even approach the 210* mark. If you want to try one let me know - I still have a couple left.

I'm not entirely positive if the 99 has the improved impeller but I also heard of it having one. You could probably just have them grab one off the shelf for you to check. Just so you know I have an A1 Cardone one on my truck and it runs fine. Also, if you have an advance auto parts near you then order it online for in-store pickup and use coupon code "VISA" and you'll get it the cheapest you can find anywhere. I'll PM you about the thermostat housing.

having used and witnessed the results of using both new autozone duralast and reman a1 cardone water pumps, i'd go with the cardone anyday. those are what we use at work, and never see any problems with quality. i can't say the same for duralast, for what it's worth.