92 MJ 2WD all stock... here it begins for me.

Well bought my '92 MJ for a whopping $990. It has 223,000 original miles on it.

Here's what it looked like from day 1 when I drove it to my buddy's house.

Image Not Found

Some damage to the rear passenger side of the bed's underside.

Image Not Found

It also had a ladder rack in the bed that hung all the way over the front cab, I quickly tore that out, I'll never need it, but now I have extra square tubing for whatever later on.

The 1st thing I decided to tackle, aside from changing every fluid and filter in the vehicle, was to clean out the interior. It smelt horrid on hot days. I must have pulled a dozen beer cans and just as many bottles out... notice I didn't say they were empty... some were half full or still with who know what remnants in it.

Pulled out the bench seat and carpet left much to be desired.

Ripped out all the carpet, still moist with who knows what. Did I mention it smelled!! DOH! Rust! Fortunately just surface rust, bust out the wire wheel!

AH! Much better, it cleaned up very nicely and I resealed and topped it off with matching Rustolium color.

At least it's a start so far, I think I'll clean up the dash some, rip out the drooping headliner, and put in a real stereo system ;) Simple things for me; for now. More to come...

no leaks, it was the leftover beer in those bottles & cans leaking out into the carpet... if I could only describe the stench to you hahaha I left the carpet out a few days and looked all over just to see if there was a leak anywhere, it's surprisingly all sealed up nicely.

And yes, I'm just winging it for now. The truck bed itself has all sorts of tar & roofing adhesives splattered around, I don't know how to get all of that stuff off. There's some indentations here & there where heavy stuff was just tossed in and stretched & dented the sheet metal on the inside of the bed. If I can get it all stripped, resealed, and a liner put it, it night not look too bad I suppose...

any advice on what to use to strip all that gunk out? Or what type of place to take it to to have it cleaned up?

I did the very same thing to both of my Comanches(gutted the interior). So much easier to fix int lights, replace speakers, clean carpet, and any other odds and ends. My 2wd had the same kind of damage to the rear quarter of the bed, it's pretty flimsey and will beat out well with a your hand, rubber mallet, hand, or any other suitable tool. :D Keep up the good work. I tried to buy another yesterday to ressurect, but no luck.

I hope you know that an industrial pressure washer, (like the ones at car washes) will work wonders on dirty and stained carpet. It is amazing what they will take out with a little degreaser and such. When I got my MJ, the PO was a mechanic and the carpet was saturated with oil and dirt on the drivers side, not any more, you can hardly see the stain left behind.

Roofing tar is good rust preventative :teehee:

Roofing tar also takes FOREVER to even begin to harden. What a mess! :(

Don't be so sure you don't have a leak somewhere. When I pulled the carpet from my latest MJ, the stench was unbearable, but very similar to the smell that came from my first MJ. I think it's just the smell of the underpadding after it's been wet for months or even years.

interior was all gray, but had tons of scuff marks and tar here & there around the doors. I gutted all the interior panels, cleaned them up, color matched them & repainted. Interior looks almost brand new. I snagged a carpet kit online for $80 and installed it for now. I think I may ultimately just take out the carpet and rhinoline the interior, since this will be my truck for camping & offroading anyways. I'm designing a good sub-enclosure and tinkering with which panels I'll leave and which I'll trim. I always have to have a good sound system in it, since I owned a stereo shop for a few years and always have to put my own little touch into any vehicle I own ;)