New to Site

Hi all,

I've been a jeep guy for 10 years. I've had a 92' XJ and a 95 YJ in that time. I need a pickup truck and would like to get a MJ. I plan on keeping it stock for the first year or so , but I'll eventually build it into a trail jeep.

My questions are these;

1) What are the cherry years? I'm leaning toward a 91' or a 92' so I can have a high output 4.0 but I don't know how much difference there is between the HO 4.0 and the older one.

2) How much weight can I put in the bed of a short bed? I need to be able to either carry 2 dirtbikes or a generator, so atleast 600lbs.

3) Renix sounds terrible, is that so?

Thanks

Hi all,

I've been a jeep guy for 10 years. I've had a 92' XJ and a 95 YJ in that time. I need a pickup truck and would like to get a MJ. I plan on keeping it stock for the first year or so , but I'll eventually build it into a trail jeep.

My questions are these;

1) What are the cherry years? I'm leaning toward a 91' or a 92' so I can have a high output 4.0 but I don't know how much difference there is between the HO 4.0 and the older one.

2) How much weight can I put in the bed of a short bed? I need to be able to either carry 2 dirtbikes or a generator, so atleast 600lbs.

3) Renix sounds terrible, is that so?

Thanks

1st let me say this welcome.gif :wavey:

2nd The year to find would have to be a 92. according to one of our Moderators (Rob) there were only 952 92's made. The HO 4.0 has a boost in horsepower and torque. Other then That I don't think the HO's are that great compared to a Renix.

3.) If you have the metric ton package you can carry more then The non metric ton's. I'm not sure of just how much tho. It should be able to carry 600lb's with out any problems. Ff you are going to carry dirtbikes and what not you may also look for a long bed. they have a 7' bed the short bed has a 6' bed. Also with the metric ton you have a better axle the dana 44 not a dana 35. But you would have to have the I4 2.5L. But again you should be able to carry stuff like that with just a normal short bed or long bed.

4.) I can only say that I have the 4.0 Renix and I love it. But if you can wait you should be able to find a nice 91 or 92 if you really want to have the HO. I hope that helped answer most of you ?'s.

Brandon

Most Renix problems can be diagnosed at home, if you're handy with a multimeter. Also, I hear that HO's tend to get a few MPG's less than Renix, but a difference of 1-3 mpg is almost entirely attributable to driving style and general vehicle condition.

Other things to watch for:

-Rust on the floors. These trucks rust from the inside out, and the carpet pad has a knack for retaining water. If there's any chance of rust, pull the carpets up before you buy.

-Dome lights tend to be bad a lot. There are a few companies that make good replacements if yours are borked. Tail lights, however, are unique to the MJ and are not made any longer. A decent used set will run you $50-100 on here, or probably more on eBay.

-If you're looking for a 5-speed 4.0L, 1990-92 models are a good bet. They used a Peugeot 5-speed behind the four-oh until midway through '89, and it's a dog. The later AX-15 is much better.

Welcome to the club! Post up pics when you find your diamond in the rough!

Also with the metric ton you have a better axle the dana 44 not a dana 35. But you would have to have the I4 2.5L.

Brandon

This is wrong,you can get a metric ton with a 4.0l

Really? Cool, I could have sworn they can only came with the I4 and with 4:10 gears? :dunno:

Brandon

there were only 952 92's made.

Not completely correct. There were 952 MJs produced in the 1992 calendar year. That's January 1992 thru May 1992 (by most accounts). There were many more 1992 MJs produced in the 1991 calendar year. Like my 92 that was made in October 1991.

I fit my cr-125 in my shortbed just fine, I leave the tailgate down and I've fit 3 dirtbikes in the back and it hauled it just fine... I would look for anything with a build date past late 89 if your looking for a 4.0 5speed.... If you find one and need opinions ask us with pics well help :wrench:

Oh yeah welcome :cheers:

Also with the metric ton you have a better axle the dana 44 not a dana 35. But you would have to have the I4 2.5L.

Brandon

This is wrong,you can get a metric ton with a 4.0l

Really? Cool, I could have sworn they can only came with the I4 and with 4.10 gears? :dunno:

Brandon

That's the amc20 that came in the 86 2.8l and 2.5l MJs

The 87+ 44s should have the same gear options as the 35 so most are 3.07 and 3.55

I would recommend finding a truck that is RUST FREE (bed sides/rockers/cab corners/floor) not paying much attention to the drivetrain. If you buy a solid truck first, swapping the drivetrain of your choice is really not much trouble and easier than forming/welding/painting new body panels.

I was in your position a few years back. But, I did not do my research and decided it was best to find a truck with a solid drivetrain. Needless to say, my 92 was rusted out and is now down to the shell to stop the rust. A major pain!

Nice advice, very helpfull. I won't be needing the truck for several months, I just want to plan ahead. So as of now my #1 choice would be a 91'-92' , HO 4.0, AX-15 5spd, 4x4( NP231), shortbed. When I start building it up I'll definatley do a rear diff swap and maybe a front diff swap. I need a shortbed because where I wheel depature angle means alot and I'm used to wheeling with my wrangler. I've never done any internal engine work before, but I'd like to know some straight forward ways to remove most of that carbon crud build up from engine? As for testing renix sensors witha multimeter, how is that done? Are you checking continuity? Any how to links?

Here's the best link for testing Renix sensors: http://www.lunghd.com/Tech_Articles/Engine/Basic_Sensors_Diagnostics.htm

That being said, I noticed you have had Jeeps in the past, all 91+ with HO engines. If you can, find a 91-92 MJ 'cause you won't be happy with a Renix system. I've had both, there's no comparison. The Renix system is a bastardized conglomeration of sensors cobbled together when AMC was on the ropes and going down the tubes. When one sensor goes, it can cause the same symptoms as another, and they all interact with each other. Renix electronic parts are getting hard to find, and are mostly expensive. Unlike the HO engines, it's hard to find go-fast parts for it if that's what you might want to do later.