What oil pressure is "normal"?

My 89 had the dummy gauges. The 88 has full cluster. Everything seems to be fine except the oil gauge likes to stay pegged at 80+. It has moved a little while driving so it isn't stuck. My oil pump thing (or regulator?) next to the engine is covered in oil from when I bought the truck. Should the pressure concern me and how hard is it to swap out the regulator?

Where did he say that he swapped the cluster out? :dunno:

My 89 had the dummy gauges. The 88 has full cluster. Everything seems to be fine except the oil gauge likes to stay pegged at 80+. It has moved a little while driving so it isn't stuck. My oil pump thing (or regulator?) next to the engine is covered in oil from when I bought the truck. Should the pressure concern me and how hard is it to swap out the regulator?

:thumbsup:

:thumbsup:

He doesn't say anywhere that he put the gauges in the 88. :dunno:

Sorry for the confusion. I mentioned the 89 because I never had to evaluate oil pressure since the dummy gauge doesn't give readings. The 89 has the original full gauge cluster so now I see readings of the various pressures and such. I assume 80+ is too high but what do I fix to correct that? I'll take pics of what I believe is the sensor and you guys can tell me if I am correct. ( pics to follow )

Most service manuals list the correct pressures to be about 10 psi per 1000 rpm. But most good tight engines should see better than that when hot. Its just a minumum they use.

hmmm. My sons '89 was just re-worked and we put a high volume pump in it as well. At could start-up it shows 70-80 PSI but after warm-up it idles at around 20-25 PSI (at 900 RPM) We changed to a 5-30 oil and I told him to let it idle for about 5 minutes before pulling off - I was concerned the initial high pressure would blow out the rear main seal.

Most service manuals list the correct pressures to be about 10 psi per 1000 rpm. But most good tight engines should see better than that when hot. Its just a minimum they use.

Not the Jeep FSM. The spec is 13 psi minimum at idle, and 37 to 75 psi above 1600 RPM. In practice, most Jeep engines (other than those with real problems) typically idle at around 25 to 30 psi (warm engine) and run between 45 and 55 psi at highway speed.

I've logged probably a million miles on just these engines, and I have never (that's NEVER) seen one that followed that "10 psi per 1000 RPM" rule.

I gave the sensor plug connector a good cleaning but no change. With engine off the needle reads 80. While cranking over at start the needle drops to zero. Once engine is on, the needle goes straight to 80 and pretty much stays there. Do I need a new pressure sensor? I don't have any oil leaks to my knowledge and this motor was a shop rebuild 1 year before I bought the truck.

I gave the sensor plug connector a good cleaning but no change. With engine off the needle reads 80. While cranking over at start the needle drops to zero. Once engine is on, the needle goes straight to 80 and pretty much stays there. Do I need a new pressure sensor? I don't have any oil leaks to my knowledge and this motor was a shop rebuild 1 year before I bought the truck.

Do you have a multimeter?

The oil pressure sensor has an ohm range of 0 to 88 ohms. 0 ohms is for 0 oil pressure, and 88 ohms is 80 psi.

Start your engine, let it warm up, then unplug the pigtail from the oil pressure sensor and connect the multimeter between the terminal on the sensor and the engine block. If it reads 88 ohms, the sensor is bad. If it reads significantly less than 88 ohms, the problem is the gauge rather than the sensor.

I replaced the oil pressure switch and the gauge needle now parks at 60 psi. I do not know what else to check so i will leave it alone for now. Thanks for all the help.

60 psi during at cold start? mine went close to that at cold start then dropping down as when engine warming up.

I replaced the oil pressure switch and the gauge needle now parks at 60 psi. I do not know what else to check so i will leave it alone for now. Thanks for all the help.

Do you have a multimeter?

The oil pressure sensor has an ohm range of 0 to 88 ohms. 0 ohms is for 0 oil pressure, and 88 ohms is 80 psi.

Start your engine, let it warm up, then unplug the pigtail from the oil pressure sensor and connect the multimeter between the terminal on the sensor and the engine block. If it reads 88 ohms, the sensor is bad. If it reads significantly less than 88 ohms, the problem is the gauge rather than the sensor.

I do not have a multimeter but it is on my long list of tools I want or need. The switch is about $5 and easy to swap out so I figured I'd just replace it. Good to have you back! You always seem have a lot of wisdom in your answers.

Harbor Freight Tools sells a usable multimeter for a mere $3.99. At that price, I grabbed a couple. I keep one in the shop and one in my mobile toolbox.

http://www.harborfreight.com/7-function ... 90899.html

image_2304.jpg

At that price, nobody has an excuse not to own a multimeter. Doesn't really matter if it's accurate to 1% over the full range -- 90 percent of automotive work doesn't need that level of accuracy. Most of what we do is "Yes, there's continuity" or "No there isn't."

Harbor Freight Tools sells a usable multimeter for a mere $3.99. At that price, I grabbed a couple. I keep one in the shop and one in my mobile toolbox.

http://www.harborfreight.com/7-function ... 90899.html

image_2304.jpg

At that price, nobody has an excuse not to own a multimeter. Doesn't really matter if it's accurate to 1% over the full range -- 90 percent of automotive work doesn't need that level of accuracy. Most of what we do is "Yes, there's continuity" or "No there isn't."

if you're on their mailing list, they have coupns for free ones right now. i have about 5 coupons so i'll be given away a couple to friends. they're not the best, but pretty close in acurracy to my craftsman. the price is right!