brake caliper problem..need suggestions

my 92 was banging wierd in the front today so i got under it to check it out...

i went to take my caliper off and the bolts just pulled right out..both of them..

upon further inspection, i seen steel wrapped around the threads of the bolts..

i cleaned the steel off, put some locktite on, and put them back in, stripped out...

i don't trust this..

I'm not driving it until i get this fixed.....

i would think i can tap it ...although i never did anything like that before...or...

i can get the part the bolt goes into from the pick n pull...

anyone ever had this problem?

thanks again...rough day..lol

Payl

Could always replace the knuckle. Might have to, as the bolts are the slides, and it might be tough to find oversized slide bolts.

Rob L.

:agree:

Its easy to replace knuckle though. BTW make sure you use caliper grease on slide bolts. also if your don't want to risk strip then TQ it down which I did most of time to make sure it tighten proper.

I can look up at alldata info to get TQ spec for you if you want. :thumbsup:

pretty much for that purpose, it it strips out you pull out the heli coil (unwind), and install a new one. with a threaded bolt hole, if you strip it out you pretty much have to step up the bolt size and rethread. I'm sure you know this but its goin to be a metric helicoil to match up with the caliper bolt, and the kit i got was like $30-35.

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=2784770

Thats the part number. Its formally called a knuckle. They wear out where the caliper sits so if you get a used one from a boneyard make sure its got good meat on that edge. Be sure to do balljoints while you're in there because the 19 year old joints will likely show some age when you beat the knuckle off.

Mine was the same way when I bought it. I just stuck a lock nut on the backside with lock-tite. Certainly not the best solution, but it held for a year. I knew I was going to be replacing the knuckles for the Vanco brake kit anyhow.

A new knuckle will be expensive. I would opt for the heli coil repair, unless you have access to the tools needed to remove and install ball joints.

• 2 weeks later...
The steel wrapped around the bolt is a helicoil that is supposed to be threaded into the knuckle. Then the bolt threads into it.
i would not trust a helicoil in this use but at fastenal sells a harden steel treaded insert oversize with normal theards inside ,it red lockited in .this works well like new ....