Broken Dip Stick

Ok, so when I was installing my new motor the dipstick got caught on something and the plastic handle broke off. Every attempt to grab what's left just pushes it further down. I can't get a magnet to it because there is still some plastic left. Any ideas on how to retrieve it?

there's one bolt holding the dip stick tube to the engine block, pull that bolt out, and then there's just an o ring sealing the dip stick tube at the bottom. Once the bolt is out, you can yank the tube out and you're in business

I forgot to mention, mine is out of a '97 if that matters. I looked but didn't see a bolt. I'll look again.

It's a little Mickey Mouse but it works and will save the trouble of dropping the pan. Get a piece of wire and push it down the tube until it hits the broke dip stick. Mark it. Get a tubing cutter and cut off the top part of the tube. A pair of long nose pliers should reach the stick enough to extract it. Either fix the stick or get another one. Now cut off the end of the dip stick the same amount you cut off the tube. Be sure and cut off the end that goes into the pan. Holding the two sticks together, mark the full mark on the cut stick. A triangle file works. Or if the old tube went past where it should have, then just push the new dip stick in and retract it. Mark where the oil level is.

Actually the cut off end could be reattached, either by welding, wide hose clamp or heat shrink tubing and you use a original dip stick. It's up to you. Jim

Perhaps the reason you don't see this bolt that holds the dip stick in place is because the tab on the dip stick is missing that the bolt would be holding fast. If this is the case you should be able to wiggle the dip stick tube out of the block.

has anyone suggested unbolting the tube and pulling it out yet? :wall:

Did you read anyone's replies before posting :wall:

just my own (the second post) and the ten other replies suggesting this, which is in fact what worked. Thanks :nuts:

I did read the responses; I just couldn't find the bolt that was holding it on. I'm working in a dark garage and just overlooked it. The bolt that was holding it in was a ground as well and so I wasn't looking closely enough. I never said it wasn't there, just that I couldn't find it and I would look again. I found it.