not a political statement......healthcare is outrageous!

brdhntr

i got my bill today for when i colloapsed on the bike path back in november. $4900!!! add the ambulance ride and it comes to $6300! that's outrageous. healthcare is to out of control. :fs1: :fs1: :fs1:

again, not a political statement. not trying to start a debate, just complaining about a bill. :grrrr:

i have alot of health problems so i have alot of medical bills coming in. i check them over pretty well because i have had things billed that should'nt be. when they cancel a test they frequently still bill it. i also, and this is a good tip for any medical bill someone receives, i send it back and ask them to check thge coding and send it back through. it happens alot that they just didn't code it right. i hate medical bills. i wish they weren't such a big part of my life. :ack:

I came here to post that there is a difference between health-CARE and health-INSURANCE... but it looks like your beef is with healthcare-COST. This is a legitimate beef, and one that is not addressed by recent healthcare legislation (sorry if this is too political of a statement).

Offer cash/credit payment up front, and generally they will knock 25% off the bill or more since they know they are getting paid. Insurers have negotiated rates that are far less than the amounts billed. You can negotiate rates also.

When a hospital adds extra charges to your bill, it is not a honest error. They do it deliberate to get extra money to help cover the cost of those who don't or can't pay. They hope you don't check the charges.

I know this is off topic, but we just refi'd our house, and the old mortgage company tried adding in an extra months interest into the payoff amount hoping we wouldnt notice. My wife is meticulous with our bills, so she caught it, but I'm sure a lot of people wouldnt have. You need to keep an eye on stuff like that. This extra months interest charge comes to around $700.00! Friggin people anyways! :mad:

one thing that will help: TORT REFORM

A friend is a high-risk obstetrician specializing in multiple births. In 2006, his malpractice insurance premium increased almost $100k/year. Not the total premium, just the increase. He declined to say what the total was.

He has never been succesfully sued despite being a prime target for the ambulance-chasing idjits this country has on every corner.

as i said, i wasn't intending anything political. i don't want to get into that. i was simply pointing out what one trip to the hospital cost me. i feel it's incredible how much these costs are these days, for whatever reason.

since i am disabled, and on social security disability, i do have medicare. medicare will take care of a large portion of the bill, but i will be left with a very good portion. but, luckily, i won't be responsible for everything. it just means a few less jeep and audi parts and fewer birds bought for dog training. that sucks.

as far as the lawsuits and malpractice go, i don't want to carry on an argument. i will keep this to one point and will leave it at that. i currently have a very large lawsuit going with 3 doctors, a healthcare provider company(hospital and clinic). it is a very valid lawsuit. if i got into the full specifics, you would agree. i will just say athe doctors and healthcare provider treated me for a condition i never had and they knew i didn't have even by the first doctor notes. they continued the treatment and far exceeded the maximum levels of medications for well obove the maximum amount of time recommeded. they knowingly did this even though the tests and symptoms did not agree with the treatment. the medication levels and length of time cause exstensive damage to organs in my body and eventually ate both my hip bones and sockets beyond beleif causing masive surgery, replacement and modification. i followed what he doc's said unknowingly. i questioned it but they assured me the tests followed the diagnosis and treatment. though i was born with my heart conditions, i did not know about them until i finally went to mayo clinic for an opinion on the diagnosis. it was at that time i found out about the mistreatment and now find effects of the misdiagnosis regularly. the treatment made my heart condition progress faster and add ed15-20 years onto the severity of my condition. i know this got long and i said i would't go into detail. trust me, there is much, much, much more to this.

because of this i do feel that lawsuits and malpractice insurance is justified in many cases. i do agre that many are not needed and looking for money, but a laewsuit in a finacial level of mine,if won, will effect the malpractice insurance levels of doctors. it's not just the unneeded lawsuit sthat raise rates and cause problems for all doc's, it very high award and suit amounts that effect it as well.