1988 commanche 4x4 rear end

Hi all' i'm new to the club. my 1988 4x4, 5 speed, inline 6 cyls. rear end is history. It's a dana 35 3:07 ratio. What can i replaced it with. I just want to bolt in place with no modifications. I can't find this exact rear end to fit. What will work

If you're junkyard savvy go pull a rear axle from any year Cherokee with the same engine tranny combo. I'm not sure of all the 3.07 combos out there but there should be a tag on the axle. Probably time to go with an 8.25 rear end anyway from a late 90s XJ. Theyre a lot stronger. That's if yours is a 4x4. If you've got a 2wd you might be better off getting a 3.55 geared rear end which came behind 4.0s with an auto AW4 transmission and are far more numerous and easy to find. The spring perches will need to be relocated though. Check the classifieds here, I bet someone can ship one to you.

I highly, HIGHLY suggest using this opportunity to upgrade. :thumbsup:

step 1: find XJ that had a 4.0/auto

2: grab the axles if they are in decent shape and come with brakes.

3: cut off the XJ brackets on rear axle (use any means you have, doesn't have to be pretty)

4: get perches welded on in the MJ location (perches are like $20 and welding can be done at any shop, like a muffler place.)

5: bolt everything in.

6: smile because the 3.07s are looooong gone. :D

If you get any other gearing, you need to swap the front to match the rear. Luckily, XJs and MJs do have identical front suspension, so swapping a front axle (especially if it's in the same brake generation, so there's no bleeding), is entirely bolt-on.

Back to the original question: What can you replace with that requires NO modifications?

The only answer is an axle from another Comanche, specifically a Comanche with the 4.0L engine and 5-speed transmission. Comanches with automatics, or with the 4-cylinder, had different gear ratios. As has been mentioned, mechanically the axles from a Cherokee (XJ) are the same, but Cherokees had the rear springs over the axle and Comanches have the rewar springs under the axle, so to use a Cherokee axle DOES require modification -- you have to move the spring perches.

Well thanks guys. Going to pick up my new to me 3:07s tomorrow. What a job finding them or any parts here in Lunenburg, Nova Scotia, Canada. But with persistance i found an out of the way junkyard with enough Comanche parts to last me my lifetime. Be Jeepin Next Week (felt kinda JEEP smart at the yard)

Well thanks guys. Going to pick up my new to me 3:07s tomorrow. What a job finding them or any parts here in Lunenburg, Nova Scotia, Canada. But with persistance i found an out of the way junkyard with enough Comanche parts to last me my lifetime. Be Jeepin Next Week (felt kinda JEEP smart at the yard)

Source? :brows:

You're picking up a whole axle and not just gears, yes?

Got the whole axle. Looks good inside & out. Perches are correct, ratio is correct, it's a Dana 35. Only thing thats different is the drum size. the new one has smaller drums that aren't realy good. Does anyone know if the backing plates on the 35's are interchangeable. if they are i'll just swap & put all my just new brakes on the new 35's