Dana 30 breaks

Hey I found my front axle for my 4x4 convert however it is 150 miles away in st augustine FL. It has the 4:10 gearing that I want however dose not have any breaks. Would my 2wd front axle rotors, calipers and pads fit the "new" dana 30? thank you

Brandon

This is a Dana 30 brake:

wheelbear0003.JPG

This is a Dana 30 break:

any questions? :D

also, 2wd brakes and 4wd brakes do not interchange. :thumbsup: and make sure you get brake parts for your new axle's year. they made some minor changes in 4wd brakes over the years.

i hate to say it but I'm sure thats how my d30 will go :popcorn:

also, damn 150 miles! surely theres a JY with a 30 sitting around. have you cruised CL yet? theres always someone selling something jeep

Problem is he wants to find one with 4.10s,d30s are easy to find if your looking for 3.55 or 3.07 but anything else is a bit harder to find.

Is the break brake rotors on an 86 cherokee one part or two? because the guy at auto zone (good Jeep friend of mine) said he wouldnt see why they wouldnt work and even looked up the part #'s and both were the same. Just are the brake rotors the one peace or two? Thank you

Brandon

Edit: 4 a 4wd dana 30

Is the break brake rotors on an 86 cherokee one part or two? because the guy at auto zone (good Jeep friend of mine) said he wouldnt see why they wouldnt work and even looked up the part #'s and both were the same. Just are the brake rotors the one peace or two? Thank you

Brandon

Edit: 4 a 4wd dana 30

not sure what your talk about? rotor as wheel hub like my hp d44 and another rotor it self without wheel hub?

I could be wrong,I don't know 2wds real well but there were two spindle set ups.

Some used regular spindles and bearings like a rwd car and some used unit bearings like the 4wd jeeps,if you have the unit bearing type (like in the pic Pete posted) I would think the brakes would be the same.

I ran into a brake issue today. I have an 89 MJ and I have a set of rotors, calipers, and pads from a 92 XJ. They are completely different! The rotors are a little thicker and the way the pads go on are different. The pads in the pic above slide in the caliper mine on my 89 slide on the caliper bracket, and they are not interchangeable. Both are from D-30 axles.

EDIT: The calipers on the 89 have bolts that are slides to allow the caliper to move on. The 92 caliper slides are built in and then they are mounted onto the truck with a simple hex head bolt.

I ran into a brake issue today. I have an 89 MJ and I have a set of rotors, calipers, and pads from a 92 XJ. They are completely different! The rotors are a little thicker and the way the pads go on are different. The pads in the pic above slide in the caliper mine on my 89 slide on the caliper bracket, and they are not interchangeable. Both are from D-30 axles.

I've swapped parts from '88's and '93's and they will interchange. The only thing I've seen different were the bolts/sliders and that the later (97+ ish area) use a thinner rotor. I just swapped the sliders to the one the caliper bracket takes and the calipers fit and worked perfectly fine. There might be other changes also and I was just lucky or something but that was my experience.

Mine will not interchange unless you replace the actual caliper mounting bracket too. However I did not realize this when I parted out the XJ and didn't save them. The 92 pads are about 3/8" longer than the 89 therefore they won't fit in the mounting bracket on the 89.

Man I really wish I had pics to show you what I'm talking about.. I'm not crazy. :smart:

O and my 94 XJ 2wd brakes are completely different than a 4wd. Unless you have a unit bearing set up like stated above, but mine doesn't.

EDIT: The calipers on the 89 have bolts that are slides to allow the caliper to move on. The 92 caliper slides are built in and then they are mounted onto the truck with a simple hex head bolt.

also, 2wd brakes and 4wd brakes do not interchange. :thumbsup: and make sure you get brake parts for your new axle's year. they made some minor changes in 4wd brakes over the years.

:thumbsup:

Just a little bit more info I forgot about that might have a major impact on why mine changed. My front Dana 30 from the '88 was out of a Cherokee with an NP242, so it had the solid axle shaft instead of the CAD system. The only thing diff was the slider in the caliper, which I swapped out since I didn't feel like bleeding the brake system and the calipers were good on my Jeep with the extended brake lines on them. Went from 1990 axle (bent) to 1993 axle (blew up) to 1988 axle (totaled the Jeep with that axle in and used the same calipers the whole way, who would have guessed the caliper would outlast three axles...

I'm not too sure on the 2wd to 4wd but it sounds like the other guys have that covered.