Been taking a break from Jeep... and doing VW stuff again...

Some of you know that my vehicle preferences are very WWII... Jeep and VW. I've got the '72 Bug, building a Dune Buggy on a '74 pan, and now this thing... my brother's '87 Cabriolet. We're doing a full VR6 swap from a '94 Passat and we're pretty much done with the tough stuff.

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.p ... -Cabriolet

Should be a blast when it's done... pretty much a classic "big motor small car" type of deal. I just thought it'd be fun to post something a little more foreign!

• 4 weeks later...

i may take a break to do some audi stuff. i would love to mod an audi 2.2. or 2.3 and try to get at least the 600 hp it's easily capable of (as run in quattro sports) even try for the 1000 performance builders have gotten. it gets spendy becaus ethere is so little available now, but you can still get alot from overseas. i won't do it on this car but would like to pick up another in a couple years to start something like that on it. just pipe dreams right now.

*sigh*

Too much snow to take this thing out and try and find some dry pavement...

true true.

found an '89 caddy I may pick up...rust free, no motor or front clip.. kid bought it to put the diesel into his cabriolet.

I'm thinking g60, cabby quad headlight front end, and bump it up a little higher, just to be different.

Sounds like a blank canvas! Check around on vwvortex or vwcaddyforum... tons of stuff there. I think on the caddy site, there are a few lifted builds too.

Jeeps are great, but these little cars are amazing for the fact that they are just about street legal go carts! Tons in the aftermarket helps out too, but the custom stuff seems to be just a little more fun.

Sure going to be tough giving this one back to my brother... there are only a handful of things I need finish on it and they're all cosmetic. Once my dune buggy is done, I might just need to look into one of these for myself!... perhaps a two door MK1 Jetta with a Rabbit nose.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, this has been awesome, but the little car is going back home with my brother. We took it out for a rip around the neighborhood with only a few disappointments. There is a massive exhaust leak at the manifold (that's what he gets for using old gaskets) and a bit of a misfire. Anyhow, he can handle those issues, finish the wiring and interior on his time at his place.

For those who like before and afters:

I think my favorite part of the project was all the little details...

Tach. mount (easily removable for when he's not at the track):

Fuse box cover, rad. retainer, battery box:

Center console:

This whole deal has been fun, but I think I'm ready to get my shop back. Three cars in an area designed for two is getting a little old. Keep in mind that it has been this way since October.

... on to the next!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 years later...
Just about wore out my shovel digging up this old thread! Not really news, but this little car is still all sorts of awesome. While it hasn't been in my shop for a long time, I did manage to get half of its parts car cousin dropped into my lap. Half? Yup... half. Can't say I've ever though of this as a "tow rig".

What better way to haul some racing slicks, jack, and all your other track day gear?

Soon to be finished? I dunno... not up to me. It'll be going back to its home soon for finish work. Probably a vinyl wrapped treated plywood front and a similar treatment as a tonneau cover in the same color as the top on the Cabby. Anyhow... perhaps I'll chime in again once my brother finishes it.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 years later...