Gas tank J bolt

i had to replace these same bolts. all i did was take 2 regular bolts that had a decently large enough head. i ground down the base just below the head on the bench grinder to fit in the slot on the vehicle, heated them up with a torch and bent them to a 90 degree angle.. all told it took about 15 minutes and works like a charm. don't know if this helps you but its an idea.

Called the Pick and Pull and salvage yards, nothing.

I don't think the pick n' pull has j-bolts laying around (at least mine doesn't). I had to GO there and crawl arund under a couple rigs until I found a couple. I don't like 20 gallons of flammable liquid suspended by a "maybe it'll work" bent bolt.

i had to replace these same bolts. all i did was take 2 regular bolts that had a decently large enough head. i ground down the base just below the head on the bench grinder to fit in the slot on the vehicle, heated them up with a torch and bent them to a 90 degree angle.. all told it took about 15 minutes and works like a charm. don't know if this helps you but its an idea.

Did mine the same way, but started with galvanized carriage bolts and heated / bent them slowly so that the metal was not overly stretched. Then, after checking the thickness of the bolt at the bend I re-galvanized them.

I don't like 20 gallons of flammable liquid suspended by a "maybe it'll work" bent bolt.

I'm not sure that a used one would be a whole lot stronger....

This may be tricky with the gas tank still in place but I cut out the j-bolt hangers and dropped 8" carriage bolts through the floor of the bed. Used a flat piece of steel between the bed and the bolt heads so there is little chance of the bolts shearing through the bed. Bolted my setup in just this morning. Didn't take any pics yet though.

I probably should have used galvanized but I went with zinc plated. Didn't feel like paying $1.30 for the galvanized bolts :yes:

I'm looking for a pair of J-bolts for my gas tank strap, it's on a 1989 4.0L. Called the Pick and Pull and salvage yards, nothing.

R/T Specialties has them for $16 a pair.

Do a quick google search and you will find them.

how is their shipping costs? I ask because one site I found a while ago charged like 20 bucks to ship out the bolts, just a little ridiculous.

are these the same thing?

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/GMK-2111-749-681/

may be a few different options here also.

http://www.google.com/search?source=ig& ... bb65e82229

• 9 months later...