Lets talk MJ 44 brakes

I searched before I posted and found people saying that as long as you go from the backing plate to the drum then it swaps over. I don't know what brakes I have on the 35 but I assume I have the standard 9" brakes. The reason I posted was because I didn't seem to get 100% certainty that this will work. Some say ZJ disks bolt up but I also couldn't figure out what year and whether there would be any fabrication necessary (which would be fine if there was that need I am just making sure I go into the swap informed).

I ran into this a while back. My D44 had Swiss cheese backing plates and replacements around here were non-existent. Since the baking plates on my dead D35 were like new, I got creative. The D44 had the 10" x 2 1/2" H.D. brakes and the D35 had the 10" x 1 3/4". The D44 backing plate recesses were too deep to use the D35 parts (shoes, etc.). I found that the D35 backing plate bolt pattern was the same but the center hole was too small. I took the backing plates to a local auto machine shop and had the holes opened up to match the ones in the D44 backing plates. I used the D44 retainer plates and all new 10" x 1 3/4" brake parts and, Presto!, Hoopty (my '88 2wd Eliminator) now has a D44 with D35 brakes. Since Hoopty is strictly street, and south Florida is pancake flat, and I rarely haul more than 500 lbs., I haven't noticed any difference in stopping power.

It will bolt up to the axle okay, but the problem is that the bearing and seal won't fit through the hole. So it needs to be opened up to the same diameter as the bearing/seal recess in the axle tube. then you have to also use the retaining plate for a D44 because the one for a D35 is too small to fit over a D44 seal correctly. Unless you're the proud owner of a Bridgeport and the skills to operate it, I'd have a machine shop do it.

I have a hobby mill but I doubt it could machine backing plates :(

The axle may come with good backing plates but I would guess that I couldn't use the 44 backing plates with the 35 drums...

Any particular disk brakes I could get from the junkyard that would work in place of the drums?

the problem is...your '91 doesn't have 10" drums, if I remember correctly.

...being a '91 dana 35, it is a c-clip axle. since it is a c-clip axle, it wouldn't be 10" drums. since it's not 10" drums, it's strictly incompatible with your dana 44 and you will need to buy new brake kits for your dana 44.

and to go further into this...I've tried to put 9" d35 c-clip brakes on a non-c clip dana 35. can't.

if you want to spend time making stuff work, run to a junkyard and get a set of ZJ rear disc brakes from a dana 35, then put those on.

So my options are to buy new drums, shoes, cylinders and hardware for the 44 or go disks. Looks like disks will require fabrication unless someone can supply the bearing retainers. Is there a junkyard disk kit that bolts on?

not that I'm aware of.

buy a set of 2004 jeep rubicon TJ d44 rear bearing retainers ($20ish for the pair), redrill those, and the disc backing plates, then bolt them on.

the disc conversion will require new wheel bearings...which probably is a good idea anyways.

Other than MJ and XJ 44's, do drums from any other axle work? If I go drums I still have to go junkyard for the parts so maybe I would just get some used drums and then just new shoes and such.

they're the only ones I know of that are 5x4.5 bolt pattern, so that's what you're looking for.

some mid to late 80's dana 35's had the d44 width drums on them.

Well at least now I know that I own the crappiest Dana 35 of all Dana 35's. Not only does it howl and have a deep silver metallic gear oil but it also doesn't even have the correct brake backing plates to swap over to an improved axle.

If anyone is selling Dana 44 brake parts or disc brackets let me know.

For the retainer plate you can buy factory part number 1-05083678AA which is off of a TJ Rubi. They bolt right up without any modification at all. If your local parts guy can't find that number have them look for 5083678AA. Last time I checked it was about $10 for the pair.

Than all you have to do is open up the ZJ caliper bracket a bit to fit the shaft threw it to clear the seal.

We have a used kit for sale; sent you a PM in regards to it.

Just a little motivation to go the disc route. These are actually Ford Explorer discs on my D44. I did the ZJ rear disc conversion on my old XJ's 8.25. Very similar installation. I was able to do the swap on the cheap. Got the Explorer mounting brackets on a 1/2 price day at the junkyard. Rotors and pads are cheap enough already. For the calipers, I took the JY ones in as cores and got some reman units.

For the retainer plate you can buy factory part number 1-05083678AA which is off of a TJ Rubi. They bolt right up without any modification at all. If your local parts guy can't find that number have them look for 5083678AA. Last time I checked it was about $10 for the pair.

Than all you have to do is open up the ZJ caliper bracket a bit to fit the shaft threw it to clear the seal.

Thanks for the offer but a buddy has a complete rear I can take for free...I will however purchase the retainers!

Just a little motivation to go the disc route. These are actually Ford Explorer discs on my D44. I did the ZJ rear disc conversion on my old XJ's 8.25. Very similar installation. I was able to do the swap on the cheap. Got the Explorer mounting brackets on a 1/2 price day at the junkyard. Rotors and pads are cheap enough already. For the calipers, I took the JY ones in as cores and got some reman units.

So do tell what your parts recipe was!

agreed.

Thanks Adam...I certainly can't remember that specific information.

I'd rather use the Jeep brakes because 1. they are Jeep, and 2. if I get the TJ Rubicon retainer plates then the rest is simply bolt on except for the enlarging of the caliper bracket from the Dana 35.

Here is my next question: has anyone tried to use an Aluminum ZJ 44 axle for its brake parts? This axle will probably have bigger tubes and therefore the caliper bracket may just fit perfectly over the axle...?

I just liked the 8.8 swap because the the 8.8 symmetrical bolt pattern is almost identical to the pre 91 d44 bolt pattern. The I was thinking the ZJ d35 and d44a bolt pattern was asymmetrical like the newer, post 91 d44's.

I am not exactly positive I understand what you mean but if you mean the pattern on the bearing retainer then I guess my response would be that regardless if I can get an off the shelf part that will bolt the shafts in and hold the caliper brackets then I would prefer that over anything.