Lets talk MJ 44 brakes

Here is my next question: has anyone tried to use an Aluminum ZJ 44 axle for its brake parts? This axle will probably have bigger tubes and therefore the caliper bracket may just fit perfectly over the axle...?

The disk assembly I have is from a D44a. I am probably mistaken, but I was under the impression all ZJ disks were the same.

And an excerpt from WoodKrawler's build on JF:

To adapt the ZJ disc brakes to the XJ/MJ Dana 44 I used the following parts and process:

Parts:

ZJ Backing Plates - Junkyard

ZJ Dust Shields - Junkyard

ZJ Calipers - Junkyard

ZJ Rotors - Advance Auto

ZJ Ebrake Shoes - Advance Auto

ZJ Ebrake Hardware - Advance Auto

New Axle Bearings and Seals - Came with my TEN Factory Shafts

Jeep TJ/Rubicon Rear Disc Brake Retainer Plates

Process:

Enlarge the center hole of the backplates to allow the seal/bearings to pass through

Using the retainer plate from the XJ Shafts as a template drill/enlarge bolt holes on the ZJ backing plate and dust shield as well as on the Rubicon retainer plate.

Here is my next question: has anyone tried to use an Aluminum ZJ 44 axle for its brake parts? This axle will probably have bigger tubes and therefore the caliper bracket may just fit perfectly over the axle...?

Yes, I got the parts for my 8.25 from a ZJ D44A. The tubes were pretty close between the two axles, so not much grinding was needed.

So do tell what your parts recipe was!

I thought I already did. :) Explorer backing plates, reman calipers from Kragen, Centric pads and rotors, Raybestos e-brake shoes, Rubicon retainer plates, braided brake hose, KJ e-brake cables.

I accumulated all the parts over a period of time, so maybe it just feels inexpensive.

Yes, I got the parts for my 8.25 from a ZJ D44A. The tubes were pretty close between the two axles, so not much grinding was needed.

So do tell what your parts recipe was!

I thought I already did. :) Explorer backing plates, reman calipers from Kragen, Centric pads and rotors, Raybestos e-brake shoes, Rubicon retainer plates, braided brake hose, KJ e-brake cables.

I accumulated all the parts over a period of time, so maybe it just feels inexpensive.

Sorry sorry! My mind works in lists...reading the paragraph is tough to quantify but reading a list and I get it!

So other than a little opening up on the caliper brackets did you have to do any other fabrication? I assume you got the explorer backing plates with the caliper brackets together.