Fuel Pump and tank wrong???

Hey guys.

i just ordered a new fuel pump assembly and tank from NAPA. the problem is the pump won't seat in the tank. Everything i checked, tells me that its the right tank and pump assembly. the pump catches on the pan inside the tank....almost seems like the pump is reverse. but its the one listed for the truck

Any ideas???

what year and tank size. on the 86's there was a tsb that came out that stated that the 'float' on the arm of the sending unit needed to be reversed. this is because the sending units are for 16 gallon tanks and they started to use 23.5 gallon tanks. it says to simply pop off the float and reverse it to make it fit.

hope it helps

bill

I had a similar problem with Napa, I went as far as to purchase a new gas tank off of ebay to confirm that the pump was wrong. I then picked one up from a wrecking yard and it installed with no fabbing, just went right in. I bought 3 pumps from carquest, napa, and ebay, all did the same thing. I have the 18.8 gallon tank with the 6 ft bed.

Hey guys.

i just ordered a new fuel pump assembly and tank from NAPA. the problem is the pump won't seat in the tank. Everything i checked, tells me that its the right tank and pump assembly. the pump catches on the pan inside the tank....almost seems like the pump is reverse. but its the one listed for the truck

Any ideas???

Well I am glad to see I was not the only person to run into this deal

I bought a new tank and used the original sender till it started to leak from rust so I bought one from a fellow club member and it would not seat just as you describe

What I notice is the original has a longer "arm" about an inch or so and sets the pump and sender out in the middle of the tank, now the pump I got used had a short arm and would hit the baffle? (There are different senders that’s a fact)

So I had to get creative and fix my original unit and lucky me I was able to make a long term repair to the unit and reuse it

I would like to know why there are different length senders but the same replacement tanks?