87 comanche v-6 project

I have an 87 short bed 2wd comanche. I just bought a 89 4.3 vortec motor trans and transfer case to turn it into 4wd. My question is does anybody sell a swap kit for a xj or mj? I can fab everything up myself but I was looking for a quicker way to get the drivetrain in and bolted up.

I have an 87 short bed 2wd comanche. I just bought a 89 4.3 vortec motor trans and transfer case to turn it into 4wd. My question is does anybody sell a swap kit for a xj or mj? I can fab everything up myself but I was looking for a quicker way to get the drivetrain in and bolted up.

I am not 100% sure it applies to the pre-4.0 years, but both http://www.advanceadapters.com sell kits/pieces to mount a SBC and should mount a 4.3, as well.

yup, novak and advance should have everything you need. except for exhaust beyond the headers and maybe driveshafts.

The vortec v6 might cost a pretty penny to get it installed, but they make decent power. :thumbsup:

I appreciate all the positive feed back I have gotten. I though owning a jeep was supposed be like a big brotherhood of support. Not negativity. Some of us don't have money we just want to go out and play in the mud and climb things like the rest of you. I work 50 to 60 hours a week just to keep a roof over our heads. So when something cheap comes my way that I can build a good project with I'm not gunna pass it up. I have a 92 cherokee with the 4.0 and a five speed and love it to death. And I have a 02 grand with the 4.7 v-8 in it love it too. So I am a jeep guy through and through. Just don't have a lot of money

I bet most the guys were in a "tongue in cheek" way saying by the time you buy all the adaptation things to put a 4.3 in, which will involve wiring, drive shaft shortening/lengthening, whatever transmission/transfer case changing might happen, radiator probably needing changed, you might be even up or less expensive swapping a 4.0 and all the stuff with it from an XJ or MJ. You will need the computer, etc from the GM and wire it in. :waving:

I, too, have contemplated a 4.3 in the place of my 2.5, but even with keeping it a 4x2, it appears the cost to do it right would be more than a 4.0 swap from another XJ/MJ And, if you leave the 4.3 stock, the 4.3 of that year did put out less hp than the 4.0. Wiki says, depending on what it came out of, only 140 to 160 hp, while a 4.0 from 91 up was in the 180 to 190 range. The 4.3 didn't get into the 190 hp range until much later than 1989. Even the old Renix 4.0 was about 175 hp. Plus an inline engine provides more low end torque than a V- engine. If I did a 4.3, I would only do so because aftermarket performance stuff is available to jump it up 50 or so hp kinda easy. Not as easy with a 4.0.

So, please don't take it wrongly. Just a bunch of guys saying "goin' 6 cyl? Keep her Jeep! Better engine and more hp! Wanna do more? Well, if you are going GM, why a 4.3? Go with a hi-performance 350 and really have a stomper!!!" :drool: 'Course, there is overheating issues sometimes with that swap!

Anyway, have fun! Hey, do a build thread for us in case we want to do the same!

I bet most the guys were in a "tongue in cheek" way saying by the time you buy all the adaptation things to put a 4.3 in, which will involve wiring, drive shaft shortening/lengthening, whatever transmission/transfer case changing might happen, radiator probably needing changed, you might be even up or less expensive swapping a 4.0 and all the stuff with it from an XJ or MJ.

Ding ding ding!

Believe me, no harm meant. I am just trying to save you the trouble. By the time you get, buy, make all the parts to make it work, you'll be above what you'd have had into a 4.0 swap. Where as if you get the 4.0, you can just unbolt all the parts you need from the junkyard or a donor... cheap.

Rob L.

Are we right in that it's a 2.5 right now? Mine's an 87 4x2 short box also, and a 2.5 4 speed. If it's a 4.0, you could easily swap in a later (91-95) MPI 4.0 with 190 hp. If 2.5, still much easier to put in a 4.0 than a 4.3. Hey, guys, did all 87's have the engine bay modified for the 4.0, or was it a production date thing?

all 87s will have the appropriate body mods for the 4.0L. the change happened late in the 86 model year.

trust me, we're here for ya if you go with the 4.3. :thumbsup: It's not about "keeping it Jeep", but rather many of us have seen guys go down the 4.3 road and we know that buying a wrecked XJ will give you just about everything you need for a 4.0 conversion (depending on the year of the XJ).

Do you have the 4.3 wire harness?

If one is to do the work to do an engine conversion it might as well be worth it for all the work it is going to take. A 4.3 is not better than a 4.0 and is not as reliable.

I am, though, all for engine swaps and modifications if they are for the better. :thumbsup: (4bt, 350, 5.3, etc)

Plus if something goes wrong, you won't necessarily have the support or knowledgebase here for folks to assist you if you go down the 4.3 route.

Ok sorry for blowing up on here. Ill try to be more specific next time I post. But yes my truck is a 2.5 right now or was. I picked it up for 300 bucks from Kentucky. It sat for 8 years the motor was seized. So its a bare shell now. I picked up a complete 89 gmc truck for 200 bucks runs great don't smoke drove it the other day. The only thing wrong with it is the clutch master cylinder went out. So I'm getting ready to gut that truck this weekend. So I will have all the wiring computer motor trans transfer case. I have a guy that's friends with someone that has their own driveshaft shop in cali. So driveshafts aren't a problem. I know the 4.0 has more potential than the 4.3 chevy motor. I just can't find an xj for even 400 bucks around here. We have a local jeep club which I'm in. So finding a cheep jeep almost never happens. Someone always snatches it up.

We are glad to have you aboard! Our only concern was with changing to a 4x4 and probably wanting to do some wheeling, is the 4.0 has more hp and torque than a 4.3. But, I have to admit, the idea of opening a hood and seeing a "v" engine (not a 2.8!!!) under the hood is fun! My hope is to gather the parts needed to do a GM Small Block V8, preferably a 327. And, I want it to look like this! :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :jump: :jump: :banana: :banana: :cheers: :cheers:

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1771&start=15

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Ok guys sorry I haven't been on lately too damn busy tryin to make more money. Pics will come soon. I'm still trying to gather up more parts before I get started on it. Hopefully soon though. I've got my other two jeeps takeing my money right now. But I'm at least going to get it in the garage in the next few weeks.

4.3 swap is far from ideal. Back in the old days swapping in different engines in the V6 XJs was pretty common. Your best bet/easiest swap, would have been to get a 3.1 or 3.4liter from a Camaro or S-10 with fuel injection. Its the same block as the 2.8v6 but with many improvements, and more power and reliability. You can also get various high performance components from the Fiero GT since its same engine, but the Fiero's block has engine mounts in the wrong places....that would necessitate fabrication to mount in a longitudinal RWD application.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GM_60-Degree_V6_engine