New Comanche tribute site

Well, inspired by my love for MJs and my limited experiences on here, I have started a Comanche tribute site. It's not much right now, but I plan to add to it as time goes on. So, for now, enjoy and I welcome all comments, suggestions, etc. etc.

http://geocities.com/jeepcomanche8692

Jacob

BTW, I am looking hard at a nice, unmolested '86 X with the 2.8, 5-speed, etc. More details will be posted elsewhere on the forum as they become available.

OK, guys, got some more done tonight ... '87 page is up (no pics, just info ... pics can come later!) and I have touched up some graphics.

Finally got the '87 brochure I won off of eBay last week, so I am in hog heaven! Found it interesting that on the back, it shows the following:

RENAULT/JEEP VEHICLES

DISTRIBUTED BY AMERICAN MOTORS SALES CORPORATION

They really did try to forget the Eagle in the days before the Chrysler buyout, didn't they?

At least they did something with Jeep, or I'd have nothing to make a website about! :eek:

I do remember the "birth" of the Eagle brand ... my late grandfather had a friend who sold AMC/Jeep ... actually did OK with the Renaults too, but that's beside the point.

If you should ever have reason to run a Carfax report on an '88 Eagle wagon (the 4WD, not a Medallion), you might be interested to know that, at least on the one I ran, it came up listed as a 1988 EAGLE EAGLE. Does that make it a "Double Eagle?"

OK, that's a bit of a stretch, but I'm tired. Please forgive me!

• 3 weeks later...
I do remember the "birth" of the Eagle brand ... my late grandfather had a friend who sold AMC/Jeep ... actually did OK with the Renaults too, but that's beside the point.

If you should ever have reason to run a Carfax report on an '88 Eagle wagon (the 4WD, not a Medallion), you might be interested to know that, at least on the one I ran, it came up listed as a 1988 EAGLE EAGLE. Does that make it a "Double Eagle?"

OK, that's a bit of a stretch, but I'm tired. Please forgive me!

The AMC Eagle is not made by Eagle the later Chrysler name. This is before their time. I have never seen an AMC Eagle come up as Eagle Eagle on Carfax. Calling it an Eagle Eagle is incorrect because they are not made by Eagle. All the ones I have ran on Carfax come up as American Motors Eagle. Which is correct because they were made by American Motors. Most people call them an AMC Eagle. I have a 1985 AMC Eagle 4 door Sedan. If you want to know more about these cars here is a site that tells all about them and their history.

http://www.amceaglenest.com

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, I am kind of thinking that may have been a mistake on Carfax's part. I dunno. But probably.

I've visited the AMC Eagle Nest on quite a few occasions. Very helpful site ... if I can't find a 'Manche I can live with, I may "settle" for an Eagle, if that's what you want to call it. I think the Eagle is, arguably, one of the best-thought-out vehicles that any US automaker has come up with. Some may disagree with that. I don't care. I like 'em, and that's all there is to it.

• 1 month later...

You missed the 1986 Renault 2.1 TD engine option, though you got it in 87 :D. there are some around, though not many. my dad is lucky enough to have found one...but unlucky enough to have a bad head and number 2 cylinder. ironically, on the same stroke, we found an OEM renault 2.1 long block for 150 dollars on a guy's trailer.

If you want any information on the 2.1's, I can photocopy all of the documentation for options, the original order certificate, etc, and send you some pictures of the engine etc. it's got more balls than my 2.8 had. thank god i rectified that :D

little tidbits, the 2.1 renaults were only offered in the comanche through 1987 as an option. that wasn't widely known, and the TD was another option on those engines. furthermore, the engine is very strange in nature (it is french after all). the cylinders are numbered backwards to typical 4-cylinders. i.e. the one nearest the firewall is #1, then #2 is the next forward and so on...

also, the engine was made to bolt to the gm 60 degree bellhousing. so any ax5 tranny would work with one...with 1 exception. the splines on the input shaft are different for the renault clutch. so if you get it in your mind to do a conversion, and do find one to do the conversion, get the tranny even if it's bad. it'll save ya in the long run :D

any more questions just ask, i know more than my fair share about the motor, as i've had them apart and back together now. :D

When it comes to the AMC Eagle, I know a fair bit more than many. My uncle worked on the assembly line in Canada and I got to see the first Eagle wagon (it was a Hornet wagon mocked up because it still had round headlights) but I was more interested in the V8 AMXs then.

I had a '77 AMX that I ended up parting out to put a motor in my '73 J4000. Now I have an '82 Spirit, which is nearly identical to the AMX I had except no rust or suspension problems (the AMX had been hit pretty hard and the uniframe bent) and it's a 6 cyl. Soon it will get Jeep EFI and 4.0L head (already have the parts. Just need the time!) and either a 727 or a newer 999 with EFI flexplate and CPS mounted, or an AW4 conversion.