bought a ranger....

loi

for anyone out there thinking about it, but not sure, my review is meh

a big fat solid meh

i have been seriously abusing and commuting in trucks my entire life. full size blazers, new blazers, broncos, tons of jeeps, and lots of cars too. i wouldnt drive this truck offroad a single time as hard as i drove my jeeps almost daily. absolutely no exaggeration. i can feel how cheap it is compared to a jeep. its in great shape, no issues at all, but you can just tell it would turn into a big ball of problems if run hard. its great for cruisin around slowly and light loads, which is all I'm using it for at the moment until i get something i like, but driving this thing i long for my jeeps. i literally put my foot on the floor 90% of the time i drove my jeeps, and they ran like champs and loved it. i have never had vehicles that held up to abuse like my jeeps, i think ill be coming back soon. been on the hunt for the right com for me. the dakota 5.2 is nice, but i think i want a rock solid 4.0 or stroker com with 4x4 2/4-hi/lo auto. i may buy a local com with a blown motor and get a wrecked dakota and throw money at someone here to do the swap. anyone in the dc area interested? i would assist obviously, even have space to do it. just never done it, no fab skills even though i work on stuff for a living.

A buddy of mine just gave me his 85 ranger for free. Did a 302 w/ C4 swap and runs awesome. Definately has seen better years though and needs a couple things addressed. Overall not a bad truck through I definately prefer my Comanche. My only real complaint with the ranger is the front suspension design.

The earlier Rangers like the 85, which i also have experience with, was a much better truck than the current 93 up models, I Also had a 68 F250 Ranger Camper Special with 390 bigblock in it. GREAT TRUCK! 8 MPG wheather it had an empty bed or was hauling 3500lbs of gravel! But having driven my dads 96 enough to know, the current ones arent up to Comanche levels in terms of build quality, or character. Good luck with whatever you get.

Just drove 2 98 Rangers, looking for a new used truck. Decided to shy away from them as they both seem to have the same problems. When you put the auto in gear you get a momentary pause and then the clunk outa the tranny or rear end, couldn't discern which. When it shifted up the clunk was also obivious. The shift on fly 4x4 didn't active in either one either although one did manage to find low range. So don't think I'll bother at trying out anymore Rangers.

Last week I had to take my company truck, 2010/2wd/4banger, ranger with 20K miles on a road that more or less resembled a wagon trail to access a substation so I could inspect the lines :hmm: It did not 'feel' as solid as my MJ, but it managed with my skilled driving (low man on the totem-pole does not get 4wd). My previous truck (a 2004) had 190K miles and was decommissioned by the fleet company due to worn out IFS chassis components this summer, ran like a top still. I do not like the ergonomics of the Ranger and would never recommend the truck. Just not comfortable. But they have a proven track record.

its a solid 93, i haul with it, its great, doesnt leak or burn a drop, shifts perfectly. really nice solid truck, but you can just tell if you floor all over or run it like you stole it, it wouldnt last a week. i drove every jeep i have ever had like that, and they all went for years. jeep earned my respect. i have never met anyone has rough on vehicles as myself. i would drive them cross country with 1000 lbs in the back topped out, hundreds of miles straight at a time, and they wouldnt care. jump them, multiple burnouts daily, offroading, running things over, hauling and towing WAY more than is recommended. driving them up mountains, rally car style racing offroad, mudding, taking them out in blizzards. hitting snow embankments at 50+ until i get bored. hit a curb at 90 once, i mean i could go on for hours about the $#!& i do to my trucks. they needed tires, oil, light bulbs, and pads. there are plenty of solid rangers and other trucks out there, no doubt, and i have driven and owned many of them. i don't waste my money on vehicles that arent solid, but i would never put a ranger up against a jeep.

its a solid 93, i haul with it, its great, doesnt leak or burn a drop, shifts perfectly. really nice solid truck, but you can just tell if you floor all over or run it like you stole it, it wouldnt last a week. i drove every jeep i have ever had like that, and they all went for years. jeep earned my respect. i have never met anyone has rough on vehicles as myself. i would drive them cross country with 1000 lbs in the back topped out, hundreds of miles straight at a time, and they wouldnt care. jump them, multiple burnouts daily, offroading, running things over, hauling and towing WAY more than is recommended. driving them up mountains, rally car style racing offroad, mudding, taking them out in blizzards. hitting snow embankments at 50+ until i get bored. hit a curb at 90 once, i mean i could go on for hours about the $#!& i do to my trucks. they needed tires, oil, light bulbs, and pads. there are plenty of solid rangers and other trucks out there, no doubt, and i have driven and owned many of them. i don't waste my money on vehicles that arent solid, but i would never put a ranger up against a jeep.

I am guessing that you are under the age of 25...

I had a 2003 Ranger FX4 Level II. Loved that truck. Did well off road, comfortable on road ride, plenty of power. Never had a problem with it. My dad had a 96 Ranger and the motor for the 4 wheel drive crapped out twice.

Matt

I had a 2003 Ranger FX4 Level II. Loved that truck. Did well off road, comfortable on road ride, plenty of power. Never had a problem with it. My dad had a 96 Ranger and the motor for the 4 wheel drive crapped out twice.

Matt

They were known for the 4WD motor to crap out. It was basically just a windshield wiper motor if I remember correct.

Rob L.