power steering pumps and more...

what years of pumps will fit on a 1988 with a 4.0l motor?

What auto trans was used in the 1988 with the 4.0l?

Was the dip stick tube for the trans in 2 pieces with a hose or has this been modified by someone?

one more, the wipers go real slow is this the motor or some hidden part I am unaware of?

This is my first MJ and I'm starting to regret it already. The best part, it's a rust free truck and if it doesn't straighten up it's act, I'll sell it!

I read this board all the time and I see some of the best answers. You folks really care and try to help. that is rare. Thank all of you and have a HAPPY THANKSGIVING.

what years of pumps will fit on a 1988 with a 4.0l motor? I know '88 to '90 are the same (probably '87 to at least 96?? some one please chime in)

What auto trans was used in the 1988 with the 4.0l? in '89 it was AW4, maybe the same in '88?

Was the dip stick tube for the trans in 2 pieces with a hose or has this been modified by someone? All were a one piece metal tube which inserted into the block.

one more, the wipers go real slow is this the motor or some hidden part I am unaware of? Mine are slow on the '88 also, my guess is the motor.

This is my first MJ and I'm starting to regret it already. The best part, it's a rust free truck and if it doesn't straighten up it's act, I'll sell it! If it's rust free just put some effort into fixing it, it's actually very simple.

Addendume to Fiat's comments in CAPS:

what years of pumps will fit on a 1988 with a 4.0l motor? I know '88 to '90 are the same (probably '87 to at least 96?? some one please chime in) THE PUMP ITSELF WAS THE SAME FOR ALL YEARS, SLIGHTLY DIFFERENT PRESSURE OUTPUTS, BUT WILL WORK. THE DIFFERENCES WERE IN THE INLET/OUTLET RESERVOIR NIPPLE ANGLES. I USED A 2004 WRANGLER PUMP ASSEMBLY ON MY 91 - WORKED FINE.

What auto trans was used in the 1988 with the 4.0l? in '89 it was AW4, maybe the same in '88? SAMEO TILL 01 XJ

Was the dip stick tube for the trans in 2 pieces with a hose or has this been modified by someone? All were a one piece metal tube which inserted into the block. THEY WERE 2-PIECE WITH AN O-RING SLIP JOINT.

one more, the wipers go real slow is this the motor or some hidden part I am unaware of? Mine are slow on the '88 also, my guess is the motor. OR MAYBE THE ARM BUSHINGS NEED TO BE LUBED/REPLACED.

This is my first MJ and I'm starting to regret it already. The best part, it's a rust free truck and if it doesn't straighten up it's act, I'll sell it! If it's rust free just put some effort into fixing it, it's actually very simple. FOR SURE AGREE!

You're whining about minor problems. If you regret getting an MJ because of this, maybe you're not worthy. These are old trucks and need care. We'll help, but if you don't want to try, don't waste our time mate. The results you achieve are well worth the effort. :cheers:

What auto trans was used in the 1988 with the 4.0l?

As aid before, AW4. What's wrong with it?

Was the dip stick tube for the trans in 2 pieces with a hose or has this been modified by someone?

Was modified because it either it rusted through, or more likely broke from someone not being careful removing the transmission pan.

one more, the wipers go real slow is this the motor or some hidden part I am unaware of?

Wipers on mine are slow also on a dry windshield. In the rain when there is less resistance on a wet windshield they go normal speed.