adjusting steering so wheel is straight

how would I go about adjusting my steering so the wheel is straight it is about a quarter turn to the right to make the wheels straight. Should i just pull the wheel and turn it? also feels a little loose in the steering.

Little confused on what our asking, if ur asking how to make ur steering wheel line up correctly when ur front wheels are straight, then all u have to do is turn ur steering wheel till ur front wheels are straight, then disconnect the link between the steering box to the steering column, then Turn ur steering wheel till it lines up to the correct position.

Now for the "play" that u are describing in the steering, it can be due to a couple things;

A.) could be the steering box(same one mentioned above)

B.) could be that some bushings have cracked and fallen off or just need to be replaced

C.) could be the steering column needs to be replaced

I would try B first then A and if u have any money or patience left try C.

It maybe be a combination of A and B, that's what it was in my previous xj

Little confused on what our asking, if ur asking how to make ur steering wheel line up correctly when ur front wheels are straight, then all u have to do is turn ur steering wheel till ur front wheels are straight, then disconnect the link between the steering box to the steering column, then Turn ur steering wheel till it lines up to the correct position.

This is not the proper procedure.

When your steering wheel is not straight because of a lift, you need to adjust it with the draglink's turnbuckle. Doing what you suggest... yes, that centers the steering wheel, but not the steering box, and you'll still be able to turn farther in one direction than the other. This is no different than pulling the steering wheel off, and putting it back on straight.

Adjusting the turnbuckle is easy. Do it correctly.

Unless u know the op personally how do u know he has a lift, there is nothing in this thread about a lift being in the equation

The only way your procedure would be correct, is if the wheel was off because someone either did what you suggested, or put the wheel on incorrectly.

For most reasons, adjusting at the turnbuckle is correct. If the steering wheel is on correctly, and the shaft is on the steering box correctly(which last time I checked, it was keyed and would only go on one way, but I may be wrong), then it must be adjusted correctly at the turnbuckle.

Unless u know the op personally how do u know he has a lift, there is nothing in this thread about a lift being in the equation

The only way your procedure would be correct, is if the wheel was off because someone either did what you suggested, or put the wheel on incorrectly.

For most reasons, adjusting at the turnbuckle is correct. If the steering wheel is on correctly, and the shaft is on the steering box correctly(which last time I checked, it was keyed and would only go on one way, but I may be wrong), then it must be adjusted correctly at the turnbuckle.

Oddly, I think that is why they put one there....

It doesn't matter if he has a lift or not. Centering the steering wheel is done by turning the adjusting sleeve on the drag link. It is NOT done by disconnecting anything.

Adjust the sleeve on the drag link. DO NOT touch the tie rod ends, you will change your alignment.

If you turn the adjusting sleeve on your drag link, you can watch your steering wheel move. Best done with a freind and is quick and painless.

Correct method. Highly recommended.

Lazyman's method. Not recommended.

And then break your clock spring when it gets hyper extended during steering from lock to lock...