Wheel Stud Problem

I need help. I can't find a longer stud to replace my existing ones. When I lifted my Comanche I put aluminum rims on it. They're thicker than stock, I only got a little bit of bite on the studs. Now they're breaking off which is very scary. So I'm grounded. I've been everywhere looking for longer studs but nobody seems to carry them. Have any of you ran into this problem before? Does anybody know of a company that sells custom studs perhaps? I just need them to be a little longer. Even a 1/4 of an inch would make a world of difference. Right now they measure 1 3/4 I need 2 Inches. The knurl is .624 The shoulder needs to be bigger than 1/2 inch.

I'm pretty sure my studs were stock, so just like our studs but a little longer.

Thanks Guys

Mack

• 6 months later...

I just pulled Dorman 610-290 into my d44. They've got about 1/4" tip that I'll cut off so the acorn nuts don't top out. But I'm very happy. The shoulder is a bit taller so the drum actuall centers on the shoulder and doesnt shift back and forth hitting the threads. Still looking for the studs for the front dana 30 that are longer, but the knurl diameter is very odd. cannot find a combo that works out. any help there would be appreciated. Anyways here's some pics of the old stud next to the new. I will definitly have enought stud to hold on the alluminum wheels. 10183171953_4a4f6bb4a1.jpg

10183123736_0f19d613a4.jpg

Closest fit for front dana 30 i've found

Dorman 610-287

Thread Knurl Dia. Length Shoulder

1/2"-20 .667" 1-29/32" 25/32"

stock is :

610-256

Thread Knurl Dia. Length Shoulder

1/2"-20 .630" 1-3/4" 3/4"

It means i'd have to drill out the axel plates to gain only 1/8" of threads, the 1/32nd larger shoulder is negligible. I'm i'm not sure if its worth it though. Right now with my aluminum wheels on the front studs i have about 3/8" of thread in the lug nut. I'd like 1/2" minimum in the front esp on hot days. anyone found any longer studs that worked???

I had to go to several parts stores, I did all 20 of mine, and no body had 20. It took a bit of doing but once I had them all it only took ~~15-20 minutes per wheel

Some at NAPA, some at Kragen, some at AZ.

Tip of the day: when pulling them in, grease the knurl...use a dummy nut, finish with lug nut. Also the inside of the axle flange have a little indent so you're not done til it bottoms out in that indent.

I had to go to several parts stores, I did all 20 of mine, and no body had 20. It took a bit of doing but once I had them all it only took ~~15-20 minutes per wheel

Some at NAPA, some at Kragen, some at AZ.

Tip of the day: when pulling them in, grease the knurl...use a dummy nut, finish with lug nut. Also the inside of the axle flange have a little indent so you're not done til it bottoms out in that indent.

but what did you use for the front????? did you drill out and go to a bigger knurl? I've been to every parts store, problems is they are all dorman and dorman only makes one stud in .630... next stud that is longer than stock is .667..... did you use that or ?????

Rule of thumb for wheel stud length is six complete turns (minimum) of the lug nut before it bottoms out on the rim. But I'd prefer a couple of turns over minimum. :thumbsup:

I've got that on the rear now :) still need help on the front. anyone know part numbers for longer front studs or vendors other than dorman or belknap (napa dorman)

already checked arp, jegs, summit

Hold on - Are you saying the studs for the front hubs are different than the studs for the rear?

35 rear wheel stud PN 83503053

44 rear wheel stud PN 83503053

8.25 rear wheel stud PN 53008135

30 Front wheel stud (2wd) PN 83504792

30 Front wheel stud (87-89) PN J3238138

30 Front wheel stud (90-99) PN 53007463

30 Front wheel stud (00-01) PN 06036194AA

I seriously doubt you will find longer studs for the front with .630 knurls. Most manufacturers list a +/- .005 tolerance on the knurl diameter, so why not try a longer stud with a .625 knurl? Plenty of these around and I'm pretty sure they will press in tightly. Try one and see.

Hold on - Are you saying the studs for the front hubs are different than the studs for the rear?

Yes, the fronts are different than the rear (on the 44 anyway). Rears are also shorter.

I have no clue what the P/N is but if you do some engineering you can either find the right one or one that is real close

looks like i may run metric on the front as there ar 4 .630 studs in metric :) gonna go to napa tomorrow to get them pulled and see. which i'd thought to go to metric prior to pulling in standard in the rear otherwise i would have made them match

but having good thread contact is more important to me than having matching lugs

pics of the rear studs before after.
with dorman 610-290
Wheel Stud Thread Size 1/2-20 in. RH
Knurl Diameter (in.) 0.619 in.
Underhead Length (in) 0.593 in.
Overall Length (in) 2.188 in.

I cut off the 3/16 starter tip so the stock lugs wouldn't top out in the acorn if i ran stock steelies again.
originals
10183061945_17714cb643.jpg
new:

10183125976_f8cf681dc5.jpg