Got an itch I can't scratch

86bamamj

I've been a lurker here for a couple weeks now so I thought it was time to join in the 12-step program here and say hi, my name is Mike, and I have a problem... LOL

As I posted in the "How & why did you get into MJ's?" thread a few days ago - I bought an MJ new off the lot back in '86 and sold it about 6 years later to an older man from my church who died a few years later. Recently I picked up a '91 YJ project and realized how much I missed that old MJ. I tried to find it, but I pretty much tracked it to a dead end. The kid the widow sold it to, then traded it in at a dealer which doesn't exist any more.

But by this time the bug has bit and I'm desperate to get another MJ as my next project. The problem is - DW would understand me getting my old truck back, but with the YJ still needing a fair amount of work and the house needing even more, I think I'd be up for a divorce if I dragged another stray home now - especially one that would be a money pit.

So... Now I have this itch I can't scratch and its driving me crazy....

I feel your pain. I am allergic to antihistamines and hydrocortisone. Many of us have the battle of " wifey v. comanche ". Set a plan to save up for 6-12 months in a "MJ fund" and accept donations into this fund in place of Christmas and B-day. Also, figure a way to sell things you can live without and possibly finding a source of secondary income to lessen the financial impact of this incurable itch. Good luck to you!! comanche.gif

All men should have what I refer to as "hide-a-bucks". Any time I get a little cash the wife doesnt know about it goes directly into my hide-a-bucks stash. I've had it as high as $1000 bucks but ended up having to use it to pay a few bills that couldnt wait. Needless to say the wife was shocked when I whipped out $900 bucks to pay the civic association bill we owed for the last two years. (the sob's were threatening foreclosure)

I do all kinds of things to earn a little extra cash. Here lately I've been collecting scrap metal. You'd be surprised what people set out on the curb on trash days. Everything from appliances, bed frames, BBQ pits, lawn furniture and the list goes on. Over about a 2 week period I just drug my trailer around the neighborhood the night before garbage pick up. My last load was kinda small but it still brought me $178 bucks.

Been doing some little side jobs too. Fixed a water leak for a neighbor. $50 bucks. Worked on another neighbors swimming pool equipment for another $50. All total for about 4 hours of work ..... $278 bucks. About a month ago I did some pressure washing. Charged um $125 bucks.

All I'm saying is where there's a will, there's a way. You just gotta keep your eyes and ears open. The trickiest part is not letting the wife know how much your making. I'm not getting into that. Your on your own there.

Good luck.

Its not the money thats the problem, its the having too many projects and not getting any done before another comes along.

So for now, I guess I need to live vicariously through y'all and keep my eye out for that deal that can't be passed up. I'm not above asking for forgiveness rather than permission when the right opportunity comes along, but after 18 years of marriage I've learned to pick my battles. :)

And heck, I'm still holding out hope that I'll find my old MJ.

-Mike

All men should have what I refer to as "hide-a-bucks". Any time I get a little cash the wife doesnt know about it goes directly into my hide-a-bucks stash. I've had it as high as $1000 bucks but ended up having to use it to pay a few bills that couldnt wait. Needless to say the wife was shocked when I whipped out $900 bucks to pay the civic association bill we owed for the last two years. (the sob's were threatening foreclosure)

I do all kinds of things to earn a little extra cash. Here lately I've been collecting scrap metal. You'd be surprised what people set out on the curb on trash days. Everything from appliances, bed frames, BBQ pits, lawn furniture and the list goes on. Over about a 2 week period I just drug my trailer around the neighborhood the night before garbage pick up. My last load was kinda small but it still brought me $178 bucks.

Been doing some little side jobs too. Fixed a water leak for a neighbor. $50 bucks. Worked on another neighbors swimming pool equipment for another $50. All total for about 4 hours of work ..... $278 bucks. About a month ago I did some pressure washing. Charged um $125 bucks.

All I'm saying is where there's a will, there's a way. You just gotta keep your eyes and ears open. The trickiest part is not letting the wife know how much your making. I'm not getting into that. Your on your own there.

Good luck.

Cashback. When you buy something at the grocery store with the debt card just get $10 or $20 cashback.

Spend $50 on groceries, throw $10 in the hidden fund.

Do that once or twice a week and the hidden fund grows quickly.

Do what I did - trade your '91YJ for a '92MJ.

I think my daughter would have a problem with that. She's already claimed it for herself for when she turns 16 in a year, so thats our project together. My son is almost 13 so if nothing comes along anytime soon, I'll claim the need for an MJ project for him in a year or so. Heck, even if something comes along sooner, I'll claim that! :)

Ah, I didn't know there ulterior motive for hanging onto that project YJ.

Don't have kids myself - that I know of, anyway - but I understand the sacrifices that must be made for one's kin.

It's the law of the land. But it isn't so bad when they are your kids it's always nice to help the family out.