The Dailyest of Drivers 1992 MJ

I just picked this up over the weekend. It was quite an adventure considering it was a 915 mile round trip to get this truck and I needed to get it done in a single day and still make it home for dinner. Did a straight trade with a member on these forums - ahmincha (Mike). Gave him my 1991 Jeep Wrangler and received his 1992 Jeep Comanche in return. He needed a 4x4 vehicle for plowing and I just really wanted a '92 MJ.

Left NJ at 2:45AM, arrived in Ohio around 9:30AM. Met with Mike, looked over the MJ, went for a quick test drive, visited the local motor vehicle office and obtained my temporary registration and tags. Loaded up the MJ with a bunch of spare parts that Mike gave me (thanks again, man!) and headed back to NJ around 12:30PM and got back at 8:00PM just in time for my girlfriend to serve me dinner :D

It was an interesting journey, not one that I'd like to make again any time soon, but I'm very happy with the truck. It may have over 225K miles on it, but you'd never know. Mike replaced just about everything on the front end, the entire cooling system, and a bunch of random odds and ends throughout the truck. Oil pressure is great, engine doesn't overheat, and the transmission shifts great. It still needs some attention on the interior and bed and that's where my project will start. I've currently got the bench seat out and am washing the covers and replacing the foam padding on the base. I'm going to stick with the bench seat as opposed to going buckets because my dog travels with me just about everywhere (he came with me on the 15+ hour drive for this truck) and he likes stretch out and nap most of the time.

I'll keep this thread going as I make progress with the MJ, but I haven't done too much as I've been catching up on lost sleep!

Here's a shot from a rest stop on the ride back to NJ:

Here's a link to an album of pictures sent to me by the PO: I will be keeping this album updated as I make progress with the truck.

Some details on the truck:

1992 Jeep Comanche Base (build date 3/92)

4.0L HO Engine with AX-15 5-speed (2WD) and D35 rear

Originally a Kentucky truck

The original intent of driving all the way out to Ohio to get this vehicle and drive it home was because I was going out there anyway for my buddy's wedding. Unfortunately, the Wrangler I traded for the MJ developed a power steering leak the weekend before the trip and it took a few days to get the replacement parts in. I did get the parts a couple days before the trip, but I really didn't feel comfortable taking the YJ out there until I had put it through its paces and was confident it would make the trip. So, I had to put the trade off a couple of weeks, bite the bullet, and head out there for a second time. As for MJs being right around the corner from me - not so much and especially not a '92, which is what I've been after for a while. The reason that I went through with this deal is that the PO was willing to accept my Wrangler in as-is condition for the MJ with no money on top. Trying to find someone that would do all of that around me is slim to none.

The previous owner did the floor pan repair and it looks as though he did a decent job. We had a big rainstorm last night and when I took the truck to work this morning, I noticed some puddles on the passenger side, so I'm going to pull the carpet and figure out where the leaks are coming from. I'm 95% sure I know where the water is coming in from...

• 4 weeks later...

Not too much to update and I STILL don't have any new pictures. In the last few weeks, I have removed the bench seats covers and washed them. They came out look like new, but my dog has made quick work of that. Installed a spare set of dome lights I had and also picked up some footwell lighting from an XJ at the junkyard - lights up like a Christmas tree now. Replaced the rear main seal and it hasn't dropped an ounce of oil since, however, I think there may be a slight leak in a transmission seal.

On the to-do list:

Fix clunking from front end - I suspect worn control arm bushings since everything has been replaced

Adjust exhaust pipe so it stops clanking against frame

Repair dings/dents in bed rails and rhinoline/herculine the bed (possibly install a cap?)

Fix water leak on passenger side (Looks like it's coming in the antenna grommet hole

Reupholster one of the spare headliner backings I have and install into the truck

Replace mirrors

Replace tailgate

Replace drivers fender

Replace front bumper

Replace rear bumper

If I can get the body straight, I may consider doing a repaint on the truck, although the paint on it now from the cab forward is in pretty good shape. This truck will remain a 2WD DD for me as I'm loving the 21+MPGs I'm squeezing out of it on the highway. I replaced the bench seat foam with a spare I had from a 78K mile MJ, but it's still pretty soft and uncomfortable. I'm considering doing a bucket seat/center console upgrade. Pictures will come, I promise...I need to get my digital camera back, although, my new iPhone takes some pretty sharp pics...

• 2 months later...

I'm up to my ears with my 5.9L ZJ supercharged project, but that doesn't mean I haven't forgotten about the old MJ. Bought a Leer fiberglass cap off of 1999MJ last week and after spinning the well used Cooper H/Ts in our recent wintery weather, I decided it was time to throw on the Ravine's with a couple of brand new Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armor rubber. 2WD in the snow/ice isn't that much fun, but these tires make it a little more manageable.

I'm not sure what I'll be doing to her next other than searching for a good used tailgate. I might start coming up with some ideas for front and rear bumpers w/tow hooks as I seem to be pulling this thing out a lot :D

Yep, thats the topper I want, (wanted).

It's a nice piece and I grabbed it from Brian (1999MJ) for $100. Can't complain one bit. It was definitely made for the MJ as it follows the rear of the cab almost perfectly. Also has the cutout for the rear cargo light. Now, if I just had one of those...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Replaced the factory plastic clutch line and quick disconnect with a -3AN stainless steel braided line. The quick disconnect kept randomly popping off, leaking brake fluid all over the exhaust downpipe - causing a smoke show for anyone behind me - and causing me to lose all clutch pedal pressure. Had to start the truck in first gear from a stop and rev-match shift to get home a couple of times. Decided I didn't need that kind of headache when I was 100+ miles from home visiting my girlfriend so I installed something that should be fail-proof (knock on wood).

Out with the old:

In with the new:

Connection at master cylinder:

Parts courtesy of Advanced Adapters and Race Part Solutions. See this thread for details: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=30530

• 1 year later...

Nothing much to update on this guy. I removed the carpet a couple months ago, cleaned and sprayed it with a carpet dye to bring it back to its original color. It worked extremely well and took only two coats. While the carpet was out, I decided to pull the dash out and see if I could tackle the water leakage I have coming through the firewall, which is what caused my carpet to become so discolored in the first place. Thought I had it after testing with a garden hose, but Hurricane Sandy left a big puddle in the drivers side floor pan...back to the drawing board. Here are some before and after of the carpet dye treatment:

Before:

After:

Dye:

I have been driving back and forth to NJ in this rig just about every weekend to continue cleaning up my old house and shop. My old roommates all moved out and the house is likely going to be demolished by the owner since its repairs exceed the value of the home. My father has asked me to clean out my old shop because he wants to use it to store his farm equipment in the winter, which is a much better use than storing my tools, equipment and heaping pile of old Jeep parts. Since I've become so accustomed to the fuel mileage on my new VW TDI (48-50MPG), I'm a little bitter when I fill up the tank on the MJ twice each weekend to only muster 19-20MPG. To keep the theme of this build as a true all-around daily driver I have decided to yank the 4.0L I6 and drop in a 4-cylinder diesel (can you tell I have the diesel itch?).

I'm still in the planning and sourcing phases of the diesel idea, but the idea is to keep my current AX-15 and make an adapter plate to mate to the diesel engine I eventually go with. My AX-15, although only a measly 2WD version, was replaced by the previous, previous owner and has somewhere around 15-20K miles on it.

Hopefully within the next month I should have an update on which engine I'm going with, how much it's going to run and where to source it from. I don't think I'm going to go with a diesel engine from North America and I'm likely going to have one imported since there are just so many more options overseas, especially in the size and power range I'm looking for.

Definitely a cool truck for sure; I'm very interested in seeing the Diesel plan come to fruition! :cheers: Still can't believe you got back in time for dinner though, after a 900+ mile trip. :yes:

Thanks! It was an interesting journey filled with Monster energy drinks and head-banging music to keep me awake. Did I also mention that I made the whole trip with my best friend - my 3 year old Siberian Husky? He had his head out the window the entire way there and back.

Thanks! It was an interesting journey filled with Monster energy drinks and head-banging music to keep me awake. Did I also mention that I made the whole trip with my best friend - my 3 year old Siberian Husky? He had his head out the window the entire way there and back.

That's one happy dog. :rotfl2: :thumbsup:

The top candidates for diesels engines are as follows:

Isuzu 4JB1T - 2.8L I4 turbocharged/intercooled diesel. 105HP/175 ft-lbs torque. Direct injection engine that sips on fuel, but is known to be louder than other Isuzu diesels in its engine family. From what I can gather from other swaps is that this engine in an MJ/XJ can get up to 35MPG on the highway. Downsides are that it's an older engine and most of the ones that are imported into this country are from the late 1980's. Parts are getting harder to find for these engines, although they tend not to need much. So far the best price I have found is $2,400 plus shipping for this engine coupled with a 5-speed manual transmission (the manufacturer of the transmission is Aisin-Warner - same as the Jeep AX-5, AX-15 and AW4).

Isuzu 4JG2 - 3.1L I4 turbocharged/intercooled diesel. 125HP/200 ft-lbs torque. Indirect injection engine that is a little more of a fuel hog, but is known to be much quieter and smoother than the aforementioned Isuzu diesel. Supposedly does very well on long road trips, but isn't great when you're in stop and go. From the other swaps I have seen and mileage numbers reported, I believe this engine will only produce 30MPH highway in a shortbed MJ. This engine was the successor to the previously mentioned 4JB1T. It's more readily available and parts seem to be pretty cheap and accessible. I have seen prices anywhere from $1800 plus shipping to $2200 shipped for a complete setup with auto or manual transmission. One thing I noticed is that the automatic transmissions on these engines are Aisin-Warner AW4's - just like our beloved Jeep. So, at the very least, a portion of the swap has been done for me if I chose to stick with an automatic.

Both of these Isuzu engines are known to be extremely reliable and tough as nails. I have seen many reports of these things going 350,000+ miles with no issues.

I'm going to continue to do some research on other engines, but so far, these two are leading the pack.

• 1 year later...

Oh how times change.  I began disassembling the engine in preparation to do a diesel swap and then I stopped and thought about it for a bit.  Tear apart a perfectly good '92 MJ?  Sure, the engine has 250K+ on it and it's developed the 4.0L knock that many of us have become accustomed to, but it still runs.  I decided to go in a different direction and swap in a diesel on a vehicle that I don't really care much about.  So I bought a 1993 Mazda B2200 with a blown engine and started an entirely new project...as if I didn't have enough already.

So there my poor '92MJ sat with a partially disassembled engine.  And it sat that way for approximately 2 years outside of my garage braving the elements,  In it's place I bought a 2004 Dodge Ram 2500 diesel that I was using as my daily driver, but it's time that I retired that for a bit to take care of some rust issues that will only get worse the more I drive it.

Since the MJ will likely be the cheapest vehicle to put back on insurance and because I can now tag it historic in the state of Maryland, I turned my attention to it this weekend and get to a bunch of odds and ends that needed fixing.  I replaced a couple A/C lines, replaced the rusted/rotted A/C filter/drier and replaced many of the vacuum lines.  Vacuum evacuated the A/C system and let it sit overnight to watch for a drop on the gauge, but it held solid.  Converted it to R-134A and filled it up.  Finally, cold air blows from the vents!  Also decided to give it a good power wash to get rid of the tree sap and other organic materials that started to grow from random areas.

Need to take care of a few rust spots on the rocker and rear of bed, but other than that she's rust-free.

• 11 months later...

The clutch slave cylinder went out on me about a year ago.  It was a slow leak so I was able to keep refilling the reservoir every week to get me by.  Eventually it completely let go and was puking brake fluid all over the place so I decided to park it until I could get it fixed.  She sat for about 3-4 months while I waffled about dropping the transmission or searching for an external slave unit.  I eventually sucked it up, dropped the trans and replaced the slave cylinder, clutch disc & pressure plate with the LuK "heavy duty" set.  I decided to replace the flywheel just because.  The original looked to be okay, but for the cost of a brand new one it would have been stupid for me NOT to do it.

I also had a nagging issue of the factory shift knobs self destructing:

I went through two of these factory-style shift knobs before I put them on the blacklist and moved on to something else:

I'm happy to report that it's held up much longer than the factory-style knobs and it feels a whole lot better too.  Best of all, it's still a knob in the Jeep family (believe it's out of the CJ/YJ series).  I did have to re-tap the internal threads to fit on the MJ shift post - just an FYI.  I'm going to keep my eye out for this same shift knob in leather and I think I will have finally found my happy place.