WJ Booster and Master Cylinder Upgrade

I will have to ground down the rod on the 96 booster correct? when searching for the 96 booster I seen the picture and it had that flat spot on it like the MJ does

Yes, you'll have to drill out and grind down the rod end on the '96 booster to get it to function correctly with the MJ light switch.

will a 2000 xj  a good m/c to use? what do you need from the donor xj?

Technically, you can use the 2000 XJ booster, but the rod length is too long and will make the pedal sit closer to the floor.  This would make a booster from these years a last resort measure.  Stick with a '95/'96 XJ booster or '99-'04 WJ booster if you're going to do this upgrade.  The write ups available online for this upgrade are endless and it's been done enough that you can't go wrong with the given combos.  However, the master cylinder is the same part number from '95-'01 XJs so that's shouldn't be an issue.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, it will work for all MJs.

What we really need is input from someone who has done the swap with later XJ boosters and the WJ booster on an MJ or early XJ to receive balanced feedback and can accurately compare the two. I believe the consensus is that the WJ booster is a technical upgrade, whether the difference in braking power is noticeable or not. The 95-96 XJ booster may work just as well. If your running larger tires than stock, I think you'd be better off with the WJ booster. But if you've got an available 95-96 XJ (or ZJ) booster then go for it.

I know this was posted well over 2.5 years ago, but I can add some helpful info for both.  I did the upgrade on my '88 XJ using a booster and MC combo from a '96 XJ.  Did everything just like the tutorials and write up showed.  Excellent upgrade for sure.  Paired with ZJ rear disc brakes, my 31's can lock up if I need them to.

Did the WJ booster and MC on my '86 MJ.  Used an XJ proportion valve and changed it over to a standard brake system, removing the load sensing valve.  Running stock 225 size tires...  Definitely a good upgrade as well.

All in all, both were bolt in and required the same amount of work to get them functional.  As far as braking improvements goes, both seem about the same, but definitely twice as good as the stock single diaphragm setup.  I haven't had the chance to drive my MJ with the WJ booster very much, but can say this for sure:  I'd recommend this upgrade to any Jeeper with the crappy factory setup.

Can you confirm that the wj required beating the lip of the firewall for clearance vs the 95/96?  did both require a shift in the washer fluid res?

I had to beat the lip on both my XJ and my MJ.  I don't have a picture at the moment of my XJ after the later XJ booster install, but here's the best picture I have of my MJ after the WJ booster install.  Also, I had to move up the washer tank on my XJ, but not on my MJ... :dunno:

• 1 year later...