what are the locker

btm24

There are many different variations of lockers out there, but as mentioned, they all do the same basic thing by giving equal power to both wheels. They basically provide the same function as a spool, but allow for some differentiation to make for more friendly driving, similar to a posi but stronger (a posi will slip if for example you pull a tire off the ground).

This is probably the MOST effective modification you can do to a 4x4. I've seen locked jeeps on 31s go more places than with open diffs on 35s!

As far as locker types, you basically have two choices.

Selectable such as ARB, OX, eaton, etc...

or

Automatic such as Detroit, Lock Right and Aussie

The lock Right and Aussie are the cheapest, and called "lunchbox lockers". These use the current carrier and replace the spider gears. These are the cheapest and easiest to install.

Others such as the Detroit, ARB, etc.. are full carrier replacements and require backlash adjustment for the gears. They are also much more expensive, but with that comes added strength.

I personally have run lunchbox lockers for years with no regrets! The first time you climb up something, pull a tire (or two) off the ground, and keep going, your efforts will be rewarded! Just be careful, you can easily get into trouble since you can go where you couldn't before jamminz.gif

This is the best example I could find. I was able to keep going up this without even spinning even though my wheel is off the ground. (in my old XJ, front locker, rear spool)

Ended up here before a broken front axle shaft caused my buddy to break out his winch. Small joint axle shafts + 33s + locker + skinny pedal = :doh:

Doesn't help that I was plowing dirt with my windshield either!

I miss beating on that thing! jamminz.gif

There are many different variations of lockers out there, but as mentioned, they all do the same basic thing by giving equal power to both wheels. They basically provide the same function as a spool, but allow for some differentiation to make for more friendly driving, similar to a posi but stronger (a posi will slip if for example you pull a tire off the ground).

This is probably the MOST effective modification you can do to a 4x4. I've seen locked jeeps on 31s go more places than with open diffs on 35s!

As far as locker types, you basically have two choices.

Selectable such as ARB, OX, eaton, etc...

or

Automatic such as Detroit, Lock Right and Aussie

The lock Right and Aussie are the cheapest, and called "lunchbox lockers". These use the current carrier and replace the spider gears. These are the cheapest and easiest to install.

Others such as the Detroit, ARB, etc.. are full carrier replacements and require backlash adjustment for the gears. They are also much more expensive, but with that comes added strength.

I personally have run lunchbox lockers for years with no regrets! The first time you climb up something, pull a tire (or two) off the ground, and keep going, your efforts will be rewarded! Just be careful, you can easily get into trouble since you can go where you couldn't before jamminz.gif

This is the best example I could find. I was able to keep going up this without even spinning even though my wheel is off the ground. (in my old XJ, front locker, rear spool)

Ended up here before a broken front axle shaft caused my buddy to break out his winch. Small joint axle shafts + 33s + locker + skinny pedal = :doh:

Doesn't help that I was plowing dirt with my windshield either!

I miss beating on that thing! jamminz.gif

oh wow! ok well thank both of yall for that info i had no idea what people were talking about. but now that i do i can say that lockers are going on my to do list :D TrailReadyMJ you say that you use "lunchbox lockers" because they work just as good as the ones that cost alot. so what brand would u recamend? or any body else for that matter? thanks a lot guys

Brandon

oh wow! ok well thank both of yall for that info i had no idea what people were talking about. but now that i do i can say that lockers are going on my to do list :D TrailReadyMJ you say that you use "lunchbox lockers" because they work just as good as the ones that cost alot. so what brand would u recamend? or any body else for that matter? thanks a lot guys

Brandon

What is best is a lot like any opinion...everyone has one....

From my experience and research, I would go with the Aussie locker if I was going with a drop-in. Unless i had an 8.25 rear: There appears to be issues with that application, especially the newer versions. Several KJ owners with 29-spline 8.25's have sent Aussies back under warranty. ( yes, i have one. No, I have no had an issue)

The new spartan locker is the cheapest and is getting some good press.

The powertrax "no slip" probably is the most invisible on the road, but is much more expensive than the others.

As you have read, drop-ins are a lot easier to install and cheaper, but the are generally not as strong and/or versatile as the replacement carrier locker.

Brandon

I have had good luck with both Lock Right and Aussie. Detroit used to make a "quick lock", but they had problems (inferior materials). No experience with the spartan.

You can find lock rights in about any 4wd catalog or website. http://www.richmondgear.com/powertrax/lockright.html

Aussie lockers here, and can order from website: http://www.aussielocker.com/

I'm going to drop a aussie in my dana 30 and I'm still thinking limited slip in the rear cause ill be driving on the road too. and yes lockers should of been on your list right off the bat if you were going to do any sort of offroading :cheers:

I'm going to drop a aussie in my dana 30 and I'm still thinking limited slip in the rear cause ill be driving on the road too. and yes lockers should of been on your list right off the bat if you were going to do any sort of offroading :cheers:

I'm currently running a lock-right in front and limited slip in the rear, and it's a great combo if you do a lot of street driving.

An auto locker in the rear isn't that bad, especially with an auto trans, but it will let you know its there at times (although my posi does too when its slick out, even the occasional bark when giving gas around a sharp turn when dry!).

ok great come november when i do the ol 2x4 to 4x4 and get dana 30 front and 44 rear i will make sure this is added so that when i do go off road i will have no excuse of getting stuck other then me not knowing how to drive :rotf: thanks guys

where would i go to find dana 30 and 44 lockers? i looked on them web sights and did not see any. thank

brandon

On the aussie site, just click on lockers at the top of the page, or just clock here, lol. http://www.aussielocker.com/index.php/lockers.html

Looks like they are out of stock on the D44 at the moment, but that happens often with them because they sell out.

For the lock right, there is an applications button in red on the left of the page.

On the aussie site, just click on lockers at the top of the page, or just clock here, lol. http://www.aussielocker.com/index.php/lockers.html

Looks like they are out of stock on the D44 at the moment, but that happens often with them because they sell out.

For the lock right, there is an applications button in red on the left of the page.

ok thanks you so much!!! :bowdown:

Brandon

I respectfully disagree with whoever is saying you need lockers in your axles right off the bat. I have been wheeling for 7 years, XJs in particular, and I have never had lockers till actually a couple weeks ago. You really learn how to drive when you don;t have lockers. You know to look for the perfect lines for you and your rig. You really learn your Jeep well. I hope someone can understand this. I jumped in a buddy's TJ about a month ago. Built with LAs and 35s, dana 44 and dana 35 rear.. yes 35 rear.. I digress.. I could not drive that thing for crap. I'm so used to wheeling in a XJ, with the wheelbase setup, the feel, the everything, and I couldn't drive that damn tj places i can take my 3.5 inch open open xj without any issue..

Now I wheel a XJ with 4 in long arm and 33s and chase guys around with 37s and up and keep up just fine. Also I'm only locked in the back. I have a ARB for the front, but a stock, locked 30, and 33s is not the best plan.

I see the welded spider gears where mentioned. You may call this the "Lincoln Locker" or a "Miller Locker" whichever way you swing. LOL .

You don't want to weld the front axle, unless you do not want to steer. I would not weld a rear end on a rock crawler but i would in a mud truck. JMO.

I vote winch THEN lockers! Haven't been locked (other than stock LSD) in any rig I've run since 1970 something (started driving young on the farm. Tried 4 wheeling my '61 Vauxhall Victor across a creek and up a bank. Fortunately we had a tractor to get me out because it flooded the very next day!)