Turning a bunk bed into a lightbar...

beepbeepmyredjeep

I've got an old metal tube bunk bed I used as a kid, I'm considering hacking up and bolting together as a rollbar/light bar.

I don't actually expect to ever roll the MJ, considering it's only 2WD, and I will not be taking it offroad (that's what the JK is for!!!!) However, I thought it would be nice if I could give my MJ a new look, and maybe add some lights up top.

I'll probably turn the ladder into a spare tire mount along the inside of the bed, in the front right corner.

Here is a stock photo of the bunk bed in question, and my assembly diagram.

Thoughts?

And yes, I spend hours each day trying to figure out how to turn "junk" into something useful. :rotf:

I'd start by calling it a "light bar" or a "sport bar". ain't no way that's going to do anything but crush like an empty pop can in the event of a roll over.

bonus redneck points to you though. :thumbsup: it's free and it might kill you. :rotf:

I'd start by calling it a "light bar" or a "sport bar". ain't no way that's going to do anything but crush like an empty pop can in the event of a roll over.

bonus redneck points to you though. :thumbsup: it's free and it might kill you. :rotf:

Actually I'm not planning on it being load bearing. I'm purposely bolting it together, not welding, so that it will break apart at the bolt points instead of simply bending.

So, "light bar" is probably a more accurate description.

Chances of me actually ever rolling over *knock on wood* are very slim, considering I barely take the truck on the highway anymore, and never off-road.

More work than it's worth.

Sell the bunk bed, search for used roll bar.

Even one that might need some fabrication out of a non MJ.

Me, I wouldn't put cheesy like that on my truck. I'm proud of my MJs, I wouldn't do something like that to them.

Wise old men always say:

Do it right, or don't do it at all.

Ive been thinking about doing something similar to the 86 if I ever build it but using steel electrical conduit, making a faux bar, and tire mount. can't be any worse than rolling a truck witout a roll bar. They are built from the factory to withstand a roll and not crush all the way down allready, so a rollbar is just added insurance, and ANY extra support, be it actually structural, or just for looks will help distribute the roll impact more than just a cab. It has to look better than one of those ugly back racks. I say go for it. If youre happy with it, thats all that matters. Make sure you send in pics of the process an when its done! Good luck.

we have 2 customers at my shop who asked us to do the same kind of thing, except they wanted to have grill guards out of the bunk beds. one on a late model xj, and one on a zj. both turned out looking like junk that started out as a kids bed...

i'd say don't do it, but i won't hate you if you do it.

by the way, we're a general auto repair shop that does exhaust, so that's why they asked us to do the welding on it.