gas tank question

ok. on my 89 short box i pulled the gas tank to put the other bed on. found 2, 1.25 inch (give or take)holes on top of the tank. this explains the gas smell. what is suppose to be in these holes and where can i get them. the tank is in good shape and i would like to put it back in. i went to 4 different parts stores today and i got a lot of :dunno:

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

my pioneer is now a sport ruck?

In my mind I'm picturing white plastic inserts, with a 90* end on it for the hose, fitting inside rubber bushings that pop inside the hole.

That could be a totally wrong description, but that's what popped in my head. :nuts:

You are missing both rollover/tank vent valves. They keep excessive vapor pressure at bay when hot and will shut if the truck rolls. Both rollover valves on my '90 were bad so I pulled 2 from a 4.0L Renix Cherokee and they're the same P/N. Hit the jy, drop a Cherokee tank and pry out the valves and grommets...you'll be all set.

Out of curiosity how dirty is the inside of your tank? With exposed holes that big I'd imagine it's filthy.

The rollover valves are ~$25 each at the dealer. I just had to replace mine because they failed my CA emissions. Fixed those, passed with flying colors. Be careful of the little plastic nipples on there, they break easily. The lines T off to a single line to the charcoal cannister and the fumes get sucked out and back into the intake vac line. The big vac line.

Check the big line to your cannister too. They get cracked and crumbly.

It looks like you'll need the valves and the rubber grommets they squeeze into. It's like the vents on the valve cover.

J536 0058, VALVE, Fuel Vapor

J536 0059 SEAL, Vapor Valve

c683_12.JPG

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Jeep-fuel-tank-roll-over-VALVE-and-GROMMET-new-OEM-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQitemZ310244267245QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

i have another gas tank question. my fuel pump went out and i have been haveing leaks ever sence. it started because i didnt have the thingy that holds the fuel pump sealed right. i got that tight and it stopped leaking so bad, but then the same piece has a little black thing on it (i guess its a vent line). it was leaking really bad too so i put jb weld around it for a temporary fix. i need help :ack: