Engine Stand advice

Rymanrph

I picked up a '97 XJ and I'm planning on swapping the engines. I don't plan on doing much work on the new engine at all (and I'm obviously not going to be doing any work to the old motor). When they're out of the vehicle, do they need to be stored on an engine stand or can they be stored on the ground, or the bed of the truck etc.? I didn't know if the weight was too much for the oil pan or what not. I already have to buy an engine hoist and didn't know if I could save $100 by not buying an engine stand.

I would use a stand for the one that you plan on re-installing, and go to Walmart and ask them if you can have a wooden pallet to put the other one on (pallet makes it easier to get it up again if you need to move it).

If you use a stand, be sure the base of the stand is not the old style (it's formed similar to the letter "T") but the newer style that looks like the letter "H". The newer style is a lot more stable, and has less chance of tipping.

Good Luck! :cheers:

clean the manifold gasket sealing area and seal it with duct tape or a couple layers of masking tape after spraying some wd-40 into each port. Hose the spark plug recesses out with compressed air, then brakleen, then remove the spark plugs and shoot a little wd-40 or oil into each plug hole as well, then turn the motor over a couple times with a breaker bar. Stick the plugs back in, then duct tape off any vacuum line ports and stick it in storage. If the dizzy is pulled, shoot a little WD-40 in there too and seal that off with duct tape too. The more you coat with WD-40 the less it will rust on important surfaces.

I've got a cheap crappy T-shaped HF stand I'm using to store a motor right now, it's not the best but it seemed fairly stable. Cost me 50-60 bucks.

Some places can't GIVE wooden pallets away. I've used them to store a couple engines on their side and I have a pallet jack that makes it easy to move them around if need be. Depending on how well the pallet was built, you sometimes have to give them some extra reinforcement. I don't like storing engines on their oil pans, but scrapyards do it ALL the time when they store engines - really irritates me.

With a pressed steel pan I'll do it, but not a cast aluminum one. The cast aluminum pans are pretty brittle and I don't want to risk a crack, on the other hand I've got a few friends whose jeeps are still running fine with 1-2" deep dents in the pans and not leaking any more than your average 4.0. Heck they leak less than my MJ!

The Comanche engine is only going to be stored long enough for me to sell it. I'm hoping I can find someone with a 4 cyl that wants a 4.0; cause I'll have everything they need for the conversion (wiring harness, motor, gauges, transmission and whatever else they want). I won't be storing the XJ motor long either. I'll probably just pull it out long enough to get everything I need and then move it all over to the Comanche.

I use pallets and old spare tires......place the oil pan sump inside the center of the spare, and a ratchet strap or two to keep it from falling over.

That said, I do have one sitting on an engine stand currently. It's scheduled for a stroker rebuild sometime before I die....

Jeff

I use pallets and old spare tires......place the oil pan sump inside the center of the spare, and a ratchet strap or two to keep it from falling over.

Jeff

Ive seen alot of wrecking yards do this as well,good use for a junk tire

Jeff

Ive seen alot of wrecking yards do this as well,good use for a junk tire

:agree:

Most JYs will give you a crappy tire too. Works great. Especially for hauling them.

One of my favorites is a furniture dolly so you can move it around in the garage. $14 at HF and its good for 1000 lbs (so it claims)

:cheers: