I have similar problem and it happened all of a sudden while I was driving. When full it reads 1/4. I've checked the sender and it's fine. I disconnected the sender and turned on the ign and the gauge shot up to 'full' eliminating that too, leaving me with only the wiring and the gauge cluster to check. Oh Joy! :banana:

I ain't got no answers sorry but I thought I share my experience :hmm:

Pull apart the connector on the top of the fuel tank (3 pins; power, ground, and the sender signal to the gauge), spray some contact cleaner on the pins, them plug it back in. Also check the ground screw behind the left tail lamp and clean it up.

Wassa matter for you?? You haven't caught a bigger bass yet than the one on your avatar? :D

I'm having a similar issue since replacing my idiot light gauges with a full set out of an '88XJ. I filled the fuel tank up the other day and the gauge reads a little over 3/4 full. Also, my temperature gauge also seems to be reading lower than it should (verified with a laser thermometer around the sender unit) and the oil pressure gauge seems low too (verified with a mechanical gauge). Both the temperature and oil pressure sender are brand new and are the proper ones for the full set of gauges. The tachometer seems to work fine, as does the voltmeter. Additionally, the fuel gauge on the idiot light cluster worked perfectly.

Well, if the wiring to the gauge reads continuity, the next step is to pull the sender out of the tank. Check for full swing of the float arm w. no binding, a leaking float, and corrosion or open windings on the potentiometer or terminals. Put an ohmeter across the potentiometer terminals and check for a smooth up and down swing of the ohmeter when you raise and lower the arm. I know - major PITA............... :(

Hmm, the electrical gremlins. You might want to check your grounds.

x2... used to have a similar problem on my 91 when I hadn't replaced the fuel tank and sender yet. When I bought it it worked great, went bangin' down a dirt road I drive for fun once in a while and noticed it was reading 1/2 low when I got to the other end. A few days later I drove the same road again and it was back to normal!

Check for corrosion on the pin for the black wire in the 3 pin connector by the fuel pump, also clean up and resecure the ground connection in the rear left tail-light. It grounds the fuel pump and also level sender and tail lights. Gotta love automotive electronics :hmm: :nuts:

it was my ground behind my taillight

thanks!

i seen this post and i got my hopes up,

so i grabbed my camera and toolsl and went to work,

uppon starting my engine after fixing my ground, it still didnt help :(

:rant:

good going on gettin er fixed tho jamminz.gif

• 3 months later...

never posted final results,

here is what i found,

uppon cleaning the ground it made the needle read the tank again,

but! the where the needle is at when you do that, it reads the tank as that full,

so you have to run her empty or fill er up and push the needle to the right,

other than that, first run out with it, my gas gauge worked for the first time.