What's wrong with Fram

I've always wondered why people say that Fram filters are junk, but I never really understood why until today. I'll never use a Fram again.

On my XJ I've always run Wix(NAPA) Gold or Purolator oil filters. My MJ had a Fram on it when I got it. Today I changed the oil on both rigs (88 MJ & 90 XJ - both 4.0's). When I pulled the filter on the XJ (Gold), after the usual spillage the filter was about 1/2 full of old oil. But when I pulled the filter on the MJ (Fram) it was bone dry. Also the "filter" part of the filter was semi-collapsed in the filter housing.

So, if the filter had no oil in it, it seems to me that it would be empty everytime I started it, essentially a dry start. Does anybody know WHY a Fram would be dry as opposed to a Wix Gold which is full.

I've never had a problem with Frams but I'll keep away from them now. In fact I just changed the filter on both my XJ and MJ. I run synthetic in both so I want to get into the habit of changing the filter half way through the life of the oil since I don't use the fancy oil filters.

Mine had a Fram in it when I got it, and after hearing about all the doom they bring (from the guys here on CC of course) i went with a purolator. Purolator Pure one's were only 3 bucks more, so I got it.

I thought I had a RMS leak for the longest time, since I switched to Purolator, no more drippy. :clapping:

I have heard from the diesel crowd that the Fram filters have a bad design for a drain back valve. Thanks all I got.

I just need to hear of one person having problems and that is enough for me. I have ran WIX filters on everything I own since i heard about issues with Frams. If i feel rich when i order oil, I might spring for an AMSoil filter. But I'm told that they are no better then a WIX.

Run a WIX and forget about oil filter issues I guess jamminz.gif

what's a "fancy" oil filter?

One with frilly lace?

There was a very interesting item on oil filters on another forum recently. I think it was NAXJA. As usual can't find something when looking for it. They took about a dozen filters and ran every test imaginable on them. Might try searching for it. As may be expected the more expensive filters came out tops in everything.

http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/oilfilters/index.html

The only Fram filter which got semi-positive reviews was the Fram Tough Guard.

The Fram Extra Guard got the following review:

Years ago Fram was a quality filter manufacturer. Now their standard filter (the radioactive-orange cans) is one of the worst out there. It features cardboard end caps for the filter element that are glued in place. The rubber anti-drainback valve seals against the cardboard and frequently leaks, causing dirty oil to drain back into the pan. The bypass valves are plastic and are sometimes not molded correctly, which allows them to leak all the time. The stamped-metal threaded end is weakly constructed and it has smaller and fewer oil inlet holes, which may restrict flow. I had one of these filters fail in my previous car. The filter element collapsed and bits of filter and glue were circulating through my system. The oil passage to the head became blocked and the head got so hot from oil starvation that it actually melted the vacuum lines connected to it as well as the wires near it.

Back when fram's weren't made in china they were half decent. Now I hate em. I read this review a few years ago, http://people.msoe.edu/~yoderw/oilfilte ... study.html then tried it for myself and ran a fram, cut it in half and ran a Purolator Pure One. The fram was missing pieces. Purolator looked like I could wash it out with kerosene and use it again.

My MJ had a Bosch oil filter on it when I got it. Any negative things about those?

well my opinion its alright for their prices. only i hate them is try get them off because sometime its bitchin to get them off.

wix is my most recommend. if you know the oil company that first who invented the sync oil is AMS. they highly recommend to use wix for performance up to 7500 miles every oil change.

Don't know about Bosch...at the local NAPA store they have a NAPA Gold (WIX) filter right next to a Fram filter, both neatly cut away to show the guts of same. The Fram has a paper thin element with about half the pleats of the Wix (which has a thicker element) with all the other parts (seal, threads, cup etc.) equally as shamed.