Buying blind

Hubbell

Has anyone ever bought a comanche blindly?

I just found a 90' mj 4.0, 5 speed, 4x4, red with gray interior. Needs a new trac bar and catalytic converter. It is a Nevada truck so rust isnt a big issue to me. And that's all I know about it for a mear $500.

I hope the mj addiction doesn't screw me over on this one. As soon as I pick it up I will update with pics.

Anyone else ever done something so foolish?

But a 4wd mj around here easily is three or four times that. :???:

I bought my rubi blind. It was at an insurance salvage auction in MI, I was in KS. All I knew about it wa that it had 12K miles, had flood damage and was silver... Best investment I ever made. It has been modified quite abit but still pulls DD duties.

As long as you don't pay too much, it is hard to go wrong buying a Jeep blind.

Thats pretty much how I bought mine in April. My ZJ died ahead of schedule and I needed something to drive while I rebuilt/upgraded it as well as something to haul parts. I had a few hundred to spend and a limited time window, but I had been watching craigslist for weeks watching for Comanches. Mine had been listed for sale for a few weeks, and had been coming down in price by the time I had the $$. I emailed the owner and said as long as it drove well enough to get me back home I would take it. I had to take the bus, which took about 2 hrs, then I had to walk a ways to get there. Luckily it fired right up and drove fine on the way home, but it definitely had its issues, the worst of which was the hole in the exhaust and no shifter boots, so the cab was filled with fumes on the way home in rush hour. The interior was wrecked too, no seatbelts, the bench back was broken on the drivers side and wasnt connected to anything, and it didnt have plates on it(although I had swapped my ins already), so I was driving extra careful. It needed a lot of attention, and Ive given it some love, and its come a long way. Totally worth the transit time and the $600 I paid for it. I didnt know much about the truck before I went to go get it, I didnt even know what engine was in it, so I was surprised to find it was a 4.0 Pioneer edition. And luckily, most of the parts this pickup needs, I just pulled off of my ZJ, like front axle and steering. It is about to get hooked up with ALL SORTS of nice hand me downs that got rebuilt or replaced less than 10 miles before the ZJs tranny blew up and facilitated the ground up overhaul.

As long as you don't pay too much, it is hard to go wrong buying a Jeep blind.

That right there is the correct statement :yes:

Most of the ones I got were off e-bay or off Craigslist, a phone call, talk about it, and couple days later, I'm there to pick it up. One I bought last year, the guy delivered it to my shop on his trailer for an additional $20. I didn't see it until he pulled in with it, and found a few surprises on it, like OEM AC, and Cruse :brows:

If the price is right, and you don't expect a golden egg, go for it :D

i bought mine from outside of St. Louis w/out seeing it other than about 15 pictures emailed to me. found it on cars.com. i happened to know some people in St. Louis that worked for the same company i used to, and they called a couple people for me to recommend a reliable local shop to have the compression checked and give it a general look over. i paid that shop $75 over the phone with a CC, compression all checked out (it had 210k on it when I bought so I wanted to know it wasn't on it's last breath) and they let me know about a few things to keep an eye on. set up with a transport company and had it delivered to VA. No real surprises. The shop in Missouri that looked at it for me told me it needed front brakes, but it did need a new wheel hub on the right front to pass VA inspection, so about $150 more I had to spend to get it on the road. No biggie.

Spoke to the guy from craigslist again today and found out a few more details. It is a long bed, I'm actually partial to a short box but I'm not gonna sweat that small detail, the exhaust is cut right behind the cat con. So picking that up tommorrow. It also has a roll bar in it. I was thinking about one in my 87 so I guess that option is closer to reality now. It has a sound system in it so I'm expecting another rewire job. My 18 year old will get the big speakers I don't need them.

All in all feelin better about the blind buy but he hasn't got my money yet. So hopefully he's telling me the truth and not blowin smoke. Still excited, and surprisingly the wife is a little bit too. She doesn't care about all the tech side of it only that it looks cool when I'm done with it. But on board is on board right?