then I said to my self maybe wrong one

so I went and got the mobile 1 M-210

wich has a bigger size hole

but that one is to big

then a budy of mine told me try a ford one for a 302

but that one won't work either

I looked at the threads on the engine and they look fine

any ideas on what might be wrong???

could some one tell me the name of where the oil filter screw in and where can I find that part if I have to change it

If your asking about a '90 4.0, that has a metric thread on the oil filter. 2.5 X 14 I think :hmm:

You'll be looking for a Purolator L14619 or PL14619

Or K&N HP-2007

I wouldn't give you the Frame number......(PH3985) but just in case your stuck.

its called an oil filter adapter.

is it possible someone switched it for the newer chrysler size? i am wanting to do that with mine, its a more common filter. try one for a 92, xj or mj. although, i have screwed on a later style filter onto the metric adapter before, it will go on, just not seal well.

If your asking about a '90 4.0, that has a metric thread on the oil filter. 2.5 X 14 I think :hmm:

You'll be looking for a Purolator L14619 or PL14619

Or K&N HP-2007

I wouldn't give you the Frame number......(PH3985) but just in case your stuck.

allready tried the PL3985 still won't screw in

Two different numbers there buddy :thumbsup:

Is it possible that a previous owner already changed it to the non-metric filter adapter> How does the filter sit when installed -- horizontal, with the mouth facing forward, or vertical with the mouth down and the filter tipped slightly outward at the top toward the passenger fender?

fixed the prob got to the JY today and found a 89 cherokee and took the oil filter adapter out of it for 5$

then went to napa and bought a napa gold filter

now all I have to do is install the whole thing

thanks

dominic

ps I will check the old adapter when its out of thereand post pics of it

i think you had a new non metric adapter already installed, and you removed an upgrade.

The new adapter wasn't an upgrade. Chrysler just wanted to stock fewer filters, so by changing to an SAE thread they could specify the same filter they used on other vehicles. The new filter is the same size as the old one and they filter the same (if you buy the same brand of filter).

Sort of. By changing to the SAE thread it enabled utilization of larger filters than the puny metric filters, like the 5.178" and 6.93" Ford filters. Added a quart or more to the total oil capacity. Not a bad thing.

for me, i merely call it an upgrade for filter selection. the chrysler filter is abundant, and fit almost every chrysler/dodge/jeep 6 and 8 cylinder for almost 20 yrs. where as the renix filter is not as common. therefore, selection of filters is increased at whatever store you are purchasing your filter by more than double. most stores carry one or maybe two filters for the renix, where as the chrysler filter you have 4 or 5 choices.

for me it would be the same filter for my other jeeps, and also, i've missed out on sales on filters because the filter for the renix isn't the brand in stock on sale at the time.

i didn't think of allowing for other bigger filters, thats a good point.