over heating

OK guys I'm in a real pickle. my 89 4.0 is over heating. i have a new radiator, water pump, thermostat, coolant flush. oh and a new cap. the people i just bought it off of put a new head on but, I'm not real sure they did the best job of it. there is no coolant in the oil, or vise versa. I'm about to just sell the thing. so if there is anyone in the Nashville area interested in a rust free 4x4 let me know. oh i also just put 2 new electric fans on today. if anyone has any ideas so i don't have to sell it i could use a hand. thank you

You need to bleed the system properly. Park it facing downhill, and let it cool. Top off the bottle, and pull the rear temp sender in the head. Fire it up, and once you start getting coolant out, put the sender back in.

I bet you have an air bubble in it with all that new stuff. My bet is that the you never knew the proper bleed procedure. The renix's, like yours, are real finnicky with air in the coolant.

Rob L.

Also make sure your pressure bottle will actually hold pressure. If you're showing any leakage anywhere on the bottle, like around the cap, then you have small fissures that leak off pressure. If you can't hold pressure (16-18 psi), the coolant will boil, and she'll overheat.

I'm about to just sell the thing. so if there is anyone in the Nashville area interested in a rust free 4x4 let me know.

i guess you better just sell it to me for a hundred bux then ;)

don't give up, like everyone said, its probably just an air bubble problem. these things can be a bear to bleed.

To make "burping" easier, the OEM thermostat has a hole in to let the air through, most if not all after market do not, I drill a hole if they don't have one. This may be making it difficult for you to get all the air out.

Have you replaced the fan clutch with a shiney brand new REVERSE rotation one? Did you make sure it said reverse on it or have a counterclockwise arrow? You check this at the auto-parts store not mail-order. New head gasket? Did you check the head bold torque...in proper rotation? If the electric fan never fires up or you never boil over anyway, try replacing the coolant sender on the lower block because chances are you just have a sensor aging problem. Remember a 190 degree thermostat shows only slightly below the 210 degree mark on the gauge. You can verify this by turning the heater on full blast. The temperature gauge should read way lower. With the correct themostat these things appear to run hot...but nailed hot, not boiling over hot. You did check for a REVERSE rotation water pump?

I bleed mine by removing the upper radiator hose from the thermostat housing. Then start the engine with a water hose stuck in the loose upper hose end. (water hose turned on about half) Once the thermostat opens and starts pumping water out of the therm housing let it run till tha thermostat closes again. Quickly stick tha hose back on the housing and turn off tha motor. (easier with two people) Then tighten tha hose clamp and top off tha bottle. Although you end up with water everywhere, it does tha trick.