Harmonic Balancer removal

What is the best way to remove the nut on the HB. I have tried just turning it, but the whole thing turns. I've put it in gear and it still just turns. How can I hold the crank to turn the nut??

I've heard you can just put the breaker on, brace it on one end and give the engine a crank with the key...but I'm a bit leery to try that method for fear of screwing something else up.

The HB needs to be replaced as the rubber isolator has worked itself about 1/4 of the way out and I'm not driving it til I can get 'r done. As yet there's no damage to the timing cover or anything else.

It's a stick, yes? What gear did you put it in? 5th gear should provide enough resistance to break it loose. If that's not enough, have someone sit in it standing on the brakes.

Have fun getting the balancer itself off. My puller, at least, doesn't really fit in there.

...If that's not enough, have someone sit in it standing on the brakes.

I had it in 2nd, I'll try 5th

:huh???:

Sorry for my ignorance but how would standing on the brake keep the motor from turning? It's not jacked up, all four wheels are on the ground. :dunno:

I've heard you can just put the breaker on, brace it on one end and give the engine a crank with the key...but I'm a bit leery to try that method for fear of screwing something else up.

We did this when we changed my friend's HB. We braced a breaker bar on the ground. I was also a bit leery, but we were out of options. And it actually worked quite well. Just make sure the breaker bar is in the correct position. Looking from the front, the bar would have to be on the ground at about the 5 o'clock position.

Impact gun?

CW

No compressor, no tool. Might be worth the 40 mile drive to borrow my brothers. But would like to do it without. Air tools are definitely on my list though.

Instead of a compressor, why not make yourself up a CO2 on board air system? Its about the same or slightly less than the compressor. Works great and is FAR more powerful and useful to you as a jeep owner... Keep it in the jeep when wheeling to air up tires and run air tools.

You can get a tank many places for little to nothing. The regulator is available on EBay for 30-50 bucks.

What about a neighbor or friend more local? Its one bolt. Break it loose, re-tighten by hand. Gingerly drive home and swap it, drive back and torque it down...done.

CW

On mine I used a 24" chain pipe wrench... wrap the chain around it.. brace the wrench arm against the ground. Don't worry about digging into the balancer.. its trashed already.

You can stick a screwdriver in one of the spokes on the hamonic balancer and wedge it under the bottom of the timing chain cover. If you remove the rubber or whatever that skirt under the front of the engine is made of you can access it from underneath a lot easier. If you plan on changing the front seal while you have the balancer off. Lisle tool makes the best seal puller on the market. The handle can be set at about a 45 degree angle making removing the radiator unnecessary. I know, you can use a screwdriver to remove it, but check out the lisle puller.

Comanche fan

You can stick a screwdriver in one of the spokes on the hamonic balancer and wedge it under the bottom of the timing chain cover. If you remove the rubber or whatever that skirt under the front of the engine is made of you can access it from underneath a lot easier. If you plan on changing the front seal while you have the balancer off. Lisle tool makes the best seal puller on the market. The handle can be set at about a 45 degree angle making removing the radiator unnecessary. I know, you can use a screwdriver to remove it, but check out the lisle puller.

thanks for the tip.