Almost want to buy this XJ just because of the ad...

terrawombat

http://reading.craigslist.org/cto/1786079247.html

I love this guy and everything he stands for. I'm currently going through the exact same situation with a '99XJ I bought last year. Got it from a friend for free after she got into a fender bender and I even did the good deed of telling the government I paid $500 for it and paid them some taxes. A month later, I got a letter in the mail saying I owe them $230 more dollars because I paid waayyyyy under book value. Friend was on vacation for two weeks so she couldn't sign the paperwork verifying the amount was correct, so I just sent them a document from a body shop that estimated the repairs of the XJ to be around $1500. They haven't bothered me since but I have a funny feeling it's not over. I sold that XJ to my girlfriend's mother for $1500 - way under book value. I was prepared this time and already had a signed and notarized bill of sale that I handed over to her with the title.

The XJ looks good.

Agreed. In my opinion, the best late-model XJ year. Also has the aluminum rims, is black, low mileage for a 4.0L, bunch of new components, and a good price. Could probably get this thing for $2500, but I've already got an arsenal of Jeeps and don't have room for more. I sometimes look for cheap heeps on CL for parts or to fix up and sell.

I purchased an XJ recently in PA too. While tranfering the tags, we were told that I was paying less than book value and that I would be taxed for the full amount. I couldn't believe my ears. I told the lady, "are you telling me that the State wants to collect sales tax on an amount HIGHER than I catually paid?" She said yes. I said forget it, turned to the seller and told him I wasn't buying it. We went to leave and the lady said we had another option. There is a separate form that the seller had to fill out stating why the price was lower than book value. He just wrote that it had cosmetic defects. No problems.

I was really angry about the whole thing .... but what can you do.

Why Not get an aprasial to devalue the book value? Here if we do not pay the book value for a vehicle we just need to show an apriasial of the vehicle (which is usually what you actually paid for it) then submit that with your payment...

Why Not get an aprasial to devalue the book value? Here if we do not pay the book value for a vehicle we just need to show an apriasial of the vehicle (which is usually what you actually paid for it) then submit that with your payment...

Who does these appraisals? Where do you take the vehicle to get appraised? This all sounds like extra work that I certainly don't want to do. When I purchase a vehicle for less than book value, I really don't feel the need to justify why the seller chose to sell it to me that cheap. Our motor vehicle agency's always hand me forms and say, 'just fill this out.' The word in that phrase that pisses me off is 'just.' These forms usually require that the previous owner of the vehicle get involved. In most cases, the PO was doing me a huge favor by selling me the vehicle so cheap...now I have to back and bug him/her to do some additional work on top of cutting me a break. I feel like it's rude and then I feel obligated to provide them with a little something extra to compensate them for their time. And speaking of time, what about my own time? Motor vehicle agency's aren't open when I'm NOT working so I usually have to burn paid time off to do all of these extra work that I shouldn't have had to do from the get go.

Ok, I'm done venting...for now.

all dmv's suck, RI is just as bad... a while ago when my friends father died i bought his dodge truck, and my buddy noted that his dad was deceased on the bill of sale and thats why he was selling it.. went to the registry and that wasn't good, i was told that his mom had to sign off on it cause legally ownership passes to the spouse.. ok, no big deal, so i had her fax me a new bill of sale with her name on it... still not good enough! a different drone was at the counter when i went back with the new bill of sale, and she told me i had to get a copy of his death certificate from the wife. i felt real bad asking her for it, but she sent it and i was able to finally register it. they also use super inflated values to figure sales tax.. another time i had traded a modified '99 buick lesabre straight up for an '01 ford police interceptor, and i put $2k on the bill of sale. i went to the dmv prepared to battle over what the tax was going to be, being that a police interceptor isn't listed in NADA or KBB as a model, so i ran the numbers on NADA and KBB for a fully loaded '01 crown vic lx with the same amount of miles, in good condition with every option available and came up with a value of $6200, which i printed out and brought to the dmv with me.. they valued the interceptor at almost $9k! which is nowhere near what the value should be.. the car had 172k miles on it, and it still had the white and blue cop paintjob on it, all faded of course.. i complained about it, and the woman said i could file an appeal and wait for a hearing :shake: that probably would never come, and that was the last time i bought a car less than 10 years old.

When I traded my Suburban straight up for a Cherokee, the title office said we could put $0 for the purchase price since no money was involved. Then when I got my license plates they asked me why $0 and I explained. Fair enough, no problem.

With all the flaws in Ohio government and regulations, compared to other states we seem to have it pretty good here.