Snapped off a rear brake bleeder... :-(

Oh the joys of working on old trucks. :roll:

So is this easier to drill/dig it out from the outside while the axle is on the truck? or is it easier to remove the axleshaft and everything so I can pull off the backing plate and then drill it out? Or is it screwed into a part that's easily replacable? The factory shop manual mentions nothing about this for the Dana 44.

I would just replace the wheel cylinder (and the other side as well). Same thing happened on my axle, and I ended up fubaring the brake line when I tried to pull it off to work on it on the bench. I just got a short piece of flared line and spliced it in with a compression fitting, and left the rest of the intact hard line on the axle alone.

Jeff

I just got a short piece of flared line and spliced it in with a compression fitting,

I strongly advise against using compression fittings on brake lines. All brake lines should be double flared for strength. I wouldn't trust a compression fitting to hold up to the 350 or 400 psi that you can generate in your brake system.

pb blaster is your friend, i would just replace the part BUT you could drill it out and get it out w/ an ez out MAYBE. also if its in the calipers not the wheel cyliners, they won't take your core if the bleeder is broken off...

I strongly advise against using compression fittings on brake lines. All brake lines should be double flared for strength. I wouldn't trust a compression fitting to hold up to the 350 or 400 psi that you can generate in your brake system.

I know, I know.....but I've had that one plus another one on for going on 2+ years and haven't had a problem. Both of them are getting 86'ed as soon as I hang the '44 under it. New lines from the prop valve back are on the list.

On a side note....I actually made a panic stop the other day in of all places a grocery store parking lot. Some hoopty decided to cut across the parking lanes, as I was making my way down one. I actually left 4 nice, even black skid marks ;) about 2 ft long, off of each wheel.

Jeff

Drums suck. That's all you really need to know. I bought new cylinders and installed them. What a pain in the butt. And this was the easiest work I've ever done on drums. After the initial bleeder issue, nothing gave me any hassle. Nothing was rusted stuck and nothing snapped off and flew across the room. It was a straight forward install... and I still hated it. Stupid drums. :headpop:

Picked up a new 'rag' yesterday.

Its called JRations. Issue 3 has a big step-by-step article on drums, GoJeep has one on his site also.

But drums really aren't that bad to deal with. Auto trannys, now there is bad to deal with.